Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the info. Always tough fishing a new area.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 PM

I was at the Caney as well. I fished Happy Hollow from seven until the water got to high. I did pretty well dead drifting #18 bead head sow bugs up and across letting swinging them downstream. When the water starts to rise I did very well and usually do with sow bugs or scuds. I just patrol the shallows for trout that have moved in to feed on inverts that have been set free by the serge. It is awesome just throw the fly a little above the fish and you can see the fish turn fall back and open his mouth and WHAM fish on. They get real dumb in those few minutes when the water is rising.
I also did pretty well when the water was dropping with a #16 simulator dropping a #16 red copper john.
I usually do well when the trout are taking midges on or near the surface with an all black #20 WD40. I fish it across and downstream with a steady retrieve and when they hit they drill it.

Travis
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
We dead drifted midges all day on the bottom...

Grumpy
Guess I should have tried the bead headed midge to begin with. Live and learn.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:18 AM

Tater - are you swinging the WD40 or just throwing straight out and lightly twitching it back? Also, are you adding any weight, or just fishing it in the film?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYCASTER14 View Post
I have alway's fished the White River this time of year but the water is so high that the fishing is really tough. I would like to try Caney Fork but know nothing about it. Where would be a good starting point for a newcomer? Where is the closest place to stay a night or two?

Here's what I would do: Stay in Nashville. Get a room at the holiday inn by Vanderbilt or by one of the cheaper place near the intersection of WHite Bridge Rd and Charlotte Ave (Not much there, but safe, cheaper and you can take a bus downtown or drive if you bring your car). You can visit the local fly shops (just google fly fishing nashville). There are three nice ones. Take your first day and visit the fly shops and go downtown that night and check out the honly tonks and clubs on Broadway and 2nd Ave. Stay away from the booze and head out before day light to the Caney. It takes about 45 minutes to get there from Nashville. It is wadable all year, but check the dam generation schedule at the TVA website: http://www.tva.gov/river/lakeinfo/index.htm (Your hotel should have wi fi so bring your laptop or you can call 800-238-2264 (toll-free) and select the number for the "Cumberland River System" and listen for the "Center Hill Dam" generation schedule. Don't get caught in the middle of the river when the dam is generating and it can take hours to get to places like Betty's Island and Happy Hollow. Just watch what the people around you are doing closely and you should be o.k. if you move when they do. I've been caught twice at Betty's Island and was o.k., but you never know. OR you could get a cabin rental right on the Caney. Just google "Caney Fork Cabin" and you should have several options. You can also get a small cabin at the Center Hill Marina and there is a nice little restautant there that floats on the water (WIfe and I love it at night). The nearest grocery store is in Gordonsville and it's small, but sufficient and the drive is really nice. It follows the river through Lancaster and meanders through the local hills. If you need any more help or just want a local contact in case you need help/info, let me know and I can send you my number. If you have the extra cash, there are some great local guides that offer nice drift boat and wading trips at average prices. Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Also, here is a link that has info on the different areas on the Caney with driving directions:

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/...ork-river.html

Map (.pdf file):

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/...fork-trout.pdf
Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
Tater - are you swinging the WD40 or just throwing straight out and lightly twitching it back? Also, are you adding any weight, or just fishing it in the film?
Yes swinging the fly is the best, a lot of the hits come when there is a slight to significant belly in the line. The fly is at or near the surface, so the take is very visual and aggressive. I usually use 5x tippet because it is a slightly stronger than 6x and the fish don't seem to mind.

Travis
Old 10-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm doing the campground at Long Branch on 10/29 and 10/30. May be a little cold but I'm sure I've done worse. Nothing like camping in the area your fishing. Nashville sounds good but I'll save that for another time.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM

Campgrounds are good too.