Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM

Default fishing in November

Can someone tell me how the fishing in Mid-November is usually? I got a friend who I would love to spend some time with. He's been my best friend since middle school but here recently work and things have made it hard to stay in touch. He tried trout fishing the first time this summer in Colorado, but no luck.
I was curious if it's worth a 6 hour trip to freeze our butts off and not catch anything, or if it might be worth it. Any help would be great. thanks.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Hello,

I haven't fished too much in Nov., but on the average it is going to be kinda slow, especially dry fly fishing. Nymphs or other subsurface flies would be best with the cooler water temps. You will get some hatches of BWO's and midges, and fishing may pick up on a warm afternoon. It isn't prime time in the Park for sure, but you may catch some fish, but you will have to work a little harder for them. I like the Park in winter, but I focus more on hiking in the winter months and enjoy the solitude since there are less tourists.

Neal
Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM

The last two years, I have come up (alone) on Thanksgiving. The first year, I was very new to fly fishing in the mountains, I really didn't know where I should be going, etc. The first day was a complete blank, because it was cold and I was fishing way too high. The next day, I was able to pick up a few on the Middle Prong of Little River on nymphs, and I was more than happy. Last year, even though the weather conditions were worse (cold rain, snow, etc), I did better. I basically fished Cosby the entire time, and while the water was cold, the brookies would rise to dries - not like in the spring, but I was able to pick up some. I had to scale down the size quite a bit. I also picked up a few on nymphs, and I just missed landing some rather large stockers just before the stream leaves the park.

So, to answer your question - a lot depends on the weather, and on what your expectations are. If you're expecting a 30 fish day, forget it - 5 or 6 might be a very good day. However, echoing Pineman, it is a good time to be in the park; the tourists are gone for the most part, and the woods are very quiet - for me, it's a chance to decompress, in total isolation. The fishing is just a bonus.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 PM

Working with the public all year long, I would jump at any chance to fish in the park in November or any time of the year for that matter!! I say GO!!! Even if you don't catch many, or even anything, jump at the chance to go. Maybe you will get lucky and have a trip to remember!! I went out in early October, didn't catch any fish but the solitude and scenery did me and my family

wonders!! Don't pass up the chance. By the way, I drove 6 hours one way to fish for a day and a half!! WELL WORTH IT!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:54 PM

Fishing in November is fine but don't expect large numbers of fish. Very little dry fly activity but nymphs and san juans do well.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Default Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
He tried trout fishing the first time this summer in Colorado, but no luck.
The guy's advice above is right on. I would spend (and have spent) even more time than that just to go fishing. Just keep your expectations realistic.

If you ever plan to go to Colorado again, send me an email. I can point you to a few spots where you can catch some fish...not Plateau Angler sized fish, but nice Cutthroats in the 10-14" range. PeteCz at Charter dot net

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 10-29-2008, 09:05 AM

thanks guys, Where should I be targetting if'n I go. I would assume lower elevations like roadside little river. Am I right?

by the way, I haven't went to Colorado yet. He was on vacation in the Rockies while I was on vacation in the Smokies. Ironic.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 AM

The lower elevation streams will be your best bet. Lower Little River (roadside), the West Prong Little Pigeon (WPLP) just above and below the Sugarlands visitors center, the lower section of the Middle Prong of Little River (Tremont), Abrams Creek near the Falls trailhead are a few possibilities.

Enjoy,

Neal
Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 PM

Read back through some of the posts on the board about this subject and you will read where Pineman's recommendations are on the money....especially regarding Abrams....this is a spring feed creek which has been reported to keep the temps a little warmer during the colder weather months....
Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM

As we get into winter, sticking to lower elevations are the way to go just to reinforce the point...Abrams in the past has been an option, though has anyone anything on the status on the beaver dams on the spring sectionand I'm sure it was in print somewhere can remember who wrote it first, but "chase the sunshine"...as it gets colder and less sun on the water, finding those lower elevation waters that stay in the rays of light a little more in the winter...it was good advice and it has proved for me anyways to have a little more active fish...winter fishing the mountains is great cause you don't have to get up early to fish 'em or fight the traffic to enjoy your favorite hole, and if you hit it right, you can actually have a short spurt of dry fly action on some bwo or lbc's a great respite from the usuall winter nypmphness...