Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 11-04-2008, 07:33 PM

That's a pretty nice deer... Never been hunting, but I'd like to, I wouldn't have to leave my front yard. We live at the edge of a new neighborhood, surrounded by woods and fields for the most part. I was wheeling the trashcan to the curb one night when I heard a massive "bark." I looked across the street, and not even 20 feet away in a field barely lit by the street light was a HUGE buck. We've seen him before, he's 12 points at least. He's not even tan anymore, he's completely grey. After he snorted at me, he did something I've never seen before- he jumped straight up, turned 180* in the air, landed, flipped his tail ONCE, and walked away, like "Humph I showed you."
Old 11-05-2008, 02:35 AM

Default Happy?

Nice buck!Why aren't you grinning ear2ear an all the pics?Now if you use the tail to tie some streamers,and body hair to tie up some poppers and EHC's you will be truly self-sustaining and have major bragging rights!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:31 PM

I took the deer on private land. If it was public he would have never made it past a spike.
As for not smiling... I got a lot of flack from my wife about that, and I have other pictures where I am smiling. If you guys would prefer to see those pics, I could load them up.
When I took him last night to get a mount started, I quickly realized that even though he is a buck of a lifetime there are definetly much larger deer in Knox county.
I will have a nice dark chunk of fur to work with for some nice caddis flies.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Having an experience like this makes it easy to fall in love with another sport. I just have to remind myself that it probably will never happen again while hunting in TN.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Flyfishjeep,

Nice deer, That is a once ina life time deer in East Tennessee. They don't grow much bigger than that. I got to take Fly Girl BettyJoe on the kids only hunt she took her first deer (a spike). She is hooked on hunting and the great outdoors. Congrads...

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 11-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Haha speaking of the deer in my neighborhood- I was coming home from work, drove up my driveway (pretty steep for the first part), and I saw two does bedded down in the sideyard. One got up, the other one stayed laying down. I got out of the car real slow, got inside the garage, and watched the other one lay back down. I got my mom to show her that we had deer making their beds in our sideyard. They're still there...
Old 11-07-2008, 10:42 AM

Default nice buck

That's a nice buck. Congratulations.

Buzz
Old 11-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Did you get it scored by Boone & Crockett by chance? It looks like that rack would score pretty high.