Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-08-2008, 10:12 AM

Default Clinch 11/7

In spite of the rain I fished the Clinch on Friday. I was upstream of the weir. No luck with what I was trying, which was about everything. Saw very little midge activity on top. One fellow upstream was into some fish. I don't know if scouted out a good spot or found the fly or is simply a good fly fisherman. Still three hours in the rain with no fish is still a day fishing. Any other Clinch news? Monktrout
Old 11-08-2008, 10:49 AM

Haven't been in a while, but really needing to get out there.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM

Smile I've been fishing up there with no generation with pretty good luck.

I'm not a great fisherman, and just started fly flishing this year. The spots I like are below the weir in the current. Below that island at weir are some really big holes that fish well. Another 1/4 mile downstream there is a ledge you could wade out on that has been producing well. Most fisherman seem to do the Miller's Island loop, but I am not familiar with that. I was there last week and caught 9 or so. Seven were over 11 inches(Browns, Rainbows, and a brookie), and I caught a nice 16 inch brown. Like another Norris regular on this board suggested try a worm as your dropper, they work great. The flies I caught fish on were an olive beadhead. I tried a brassie but it just pulled up the gunk from bottom of river and was a pain to pull off each time.

Good Luck,
James Locke
Old 11-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Monk,
Pretty nasty conditions yesterday to be out there. I guess it could have been worse, but combining rain with wind just isn't much fun. I have had quite a lot of luck on the Clinch lately. I made it out on Thurs afternoon and did quite well. Saw lots of redds and they were taking the standard midge fare. Most fish were caught in deep slow runs (like what is found above the weir dam) bouncing the midge on the bottom. One likely looking spot I cast to probably 15 times before finally getting a fish to take. Best fly was either a black/silver zebra midge or olive biot midge in #20 or 22. Saw some absolute bruisers, but they were focused on the task at hand. No real big fish this time, but the past few weeks have yielded some very nice fish. The front moving thru could have given them lockjaw yesterday. Tomorrow or Monday should be good...

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 11-08-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monktrout View Post
...Still three hours in the rain with no fish is still a day fishing.... Monktrout
3 hours well spent in my opinion. Beats 3 hours of house work.