Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Do you check the report?
Yes- It's always right 0 0%
Yes- It's mostly right 7 33.33%
Yes- It's rarely right 1 4.76%
Yes- It's never right 0 0%
No 7 33.33%
Sometimes 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Moon phases/atmospheric pressure/etc.- Do you believe?

I dunno if I do... I think that is mostly fishermen trying to make themselves feel better for a bad day on the water. On some days, I've heard people say that the fishing should be good, and it would be fantastic, other times- I'd be lucky to catch anything.

When preparing for a fishing trip, do you check to see the lunar report and all the related information?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 PM

I really just check the pressure and the trends. In fact I bought a watch with just that function, but it went out on me.....waiting on a replacement now.
So I will have to depend on the news.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Never have used any of the moon phases or fishing tables. In every season other than Spring, I try to be on the water the first cloudy day after a series of sunny days. I have found that the fish are less spooky and more willing to eat when I get this situation. This is just my experience, and I am sure others will vary.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 11-11-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelrod View Post
I really just check the pressure and the trends. In fact I bought a watch with just that function, but it went out on me.....waiting on a replacement now.
So I will have to depend on the news.
So what have you seen to be ideal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Never have used any of the moon phases or fishing tables. In every season other than Spring, I try to be on the water the first cloudy day after a series of sunny days. I have found that the fish are less spooky and more willing to eat when I get this situation. This is just my experience, and I am sure others will vary.

Travis
Do you use the weather channel's predictions as far as weather goes for that? So if I see 3 days of sunny weather, and then a partially cloudy or cloudy day, I should do well?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 AM

I have had luck fishing for warmwater species and trout as a storm front is moving in an area. Seems to make the fish very active. Once the front passes through the action seems to slow down.

Neal
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Default Moonshadow

Most of us don't have the luxury of choosing which days we will fish. We fish when we can and are grateful to have a day to fish. However, should I ever retire and have days aplenty to pick as days on the water, I might consider moon phases. A hard cold wind will keep me nearer the fireplace than a wayward moon. Monktrout
Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Farmer's Almanac, i've used it for years on planting, hunting & fishing, it's close, of course a front coming/going will change that
Having said that, i'll fish anyday that ends with an "Y", sunny or cloudy, hot or cold.
It's basically a gravitational pull that even makes some folk stupid, the wife used to hate it when she worked for the criminal court system

Grumpy
Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 AM

I usually try to be out there when the pressure is rising. In theory the fishing is supposed to be great during that period. Also, during steady high pressure the fishing is supposed to be good. When low pressure moves in the fish generally become a little less active and when there is lingering low pressure the theory is that fishing will be at its lowest. There are some good articles online that I've read in the past about these ideas.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
I have had luck fishing for warmwater species and trout as a storm front is moving in an area. Seems to make the fish very active. Once the front passes through the action seems to slow down.

Neal
Is that so? Seems good to me, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monktrout View Post
Most of us don't have the luxury of choosing which days we will fish. We fish when we can and are grateful to have a day to fish. However, should I ever retire and have days aplenty to pick as days on the water, I might consider moon phases. A hard cold wind will keep me nearer the fireplace than a wayward moon. Monktrout
This is very true! I wish I could be out there 7 days a week, but the only time I can really get away is during a break or on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Farmer's Almanac, i've used it for years on planting, hunting & fishing, it's close, of course a front coming/going will change that
Having said that, i'll fish anyday that ends with an "Y", sunny or cloudy, hot or cold.
It's basically a gravitational pull that even makes some folk stupid, the wife used to hate it when she worked for the criminal court system

Grumpy
That's what it is called! So for fronts, do you use the weather channel's predictions? I understand fishing any time possible, but do the predictions in the Almanac usually hold true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelrod View Post
I usually try to be out there when the pressure is rising. In theory the fishing is supposed to be great during that period. Also, during steady high pressure the fishing is supposed to be good. When low pressure moves in the fish generally become a little less active and when there is lingering low pressure the theory is that fishing will be at its lowest. There are some good articles online that I've read in the past about these ideas.
Awesome, I have to get on Google to find more out!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
Do you use the weather channel's predictions as far as weather goes for that? So if I see 3 days of sunny weather, and then a partially cloudy or cloudy day, I should do well?
Trey,
This is the condition I prefer to fish in if I can. As Monk said, I don't have total freedom of picking a day at random and heading to the river. However, if I have an entire weekend to choose one day to fish, I will go on the cloudy day. I firmly believe it all comes back to what you have confidence in. If you feel that you can't catch anything on rainy days, you are going to be less likely to put in as much effort. Same goes for fly selection, people tend to gravitate to a particular pattern because they have had success with it in the past. Granted, the BHPT and zebra midge are very good patterns in their own right, they are common go-to patterns for lots of fisherman.

Fish when you can, enjoy each day, try to learn something new each trip, and develop your own comfort/confidence techniques and flys. The fish eat everyday, it is just a matter of finding out what they are eating and altering your approach to match their mood.

Keep asking questions, it helps you to develop as a fisherman. I can see the results of your inquisitiveness each successive fishing report you post.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler