Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM

Default Christmas fishing trip... arkansas or kentucky?

Over the holiday season I was hoping to take some time off with some buddies for a half week fishing expedition and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where we should head. Initially I was thinking about hitting the little red and the white in arkansas, but I have also heard that the cumberland in KY is another area that could be a possible destination. Any thoughts?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I have heard the white is a big brown producer and done a little research on it.....If you want to know anything about the Cumberland, look in Fly Fishing in Other states and search for Cumberland, there should be more than enough info.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:48 PM

Little Red is a fantastic river. Good thing is there are a couple rivers relatively close together over there in Ark. and you can schedule a duck hunt while your there.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 PM

Cumberland is great but you'll want a boat if you're spending several days and want to explore at all. Haven't fished Arkansas but have only heard amazing things about it at that time of year...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Barbara & I fished the Cumberland several weeks ago, over two separate weekends. It was SLOW! The River is way down even with the draw down at Wolfe Creek Dam. In most places we could wade all of the way across, dodging the deeper holes. I would fish nymphs, such as Copper Johns, Zebra Midges, BH Princes, or Wooley Boogers in the morning. There's been a midge hatch around noon, so you might try a #22 BWO, or a Griffiths Gnat.

The White River in Arkansas from Fairview down to Cotter is your best bet. Large Rainbows and Browns in the pools. For a place to stay, and fish, try Stetsons, you can walk from your cabin down to the water and wade. Rates are reasonable for the cabins, and they have jon boats for rent.
Just watch the rocks as there are a lot of submerged boulders in the river.
Stetsons can also set you up with a guide if you wish.
The White River is a tailwater of Bull Shoals Dam, and they do have generations on a daily basis, be mindful of the rising water, as you can get in trouble very quickly.

><(((("> Tight lines

Last edited by kentuckytroutbum; 12-03-2008 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: spelling corrections