Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Red face

Troutman,
I would say that you are probably right about those beasts. It seems like that area is where the tail water starts to settle in to more of an impoundment. Would that be the reason we would see more of those fish and fewer trout in the ferry area? Sorry for the questions. I have only fished that location one time.

CSM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM

The river flows for many more miles until it becomes an impoundment. Once it meets up with the French broad at three rivers just upstream of Knoxville , it becomes the Tennesssee river and Ft. Loudon lake. The deeper area just below Nances ferry gets shallow again just downriver. I believe the NF area is about the lowest point on the river that the river remains cold enough to support the trout.(correct me if I'm wrong) Sometimes during the late summer, even Nances ferry is too warm for the trout and you'll catch more smallies. Below that point it is a fantastic warm water fishery for Smallmouth and the other sunfishes. If you get tired of catching all those stocker trout, spend some time fishing for those carp and buffalo, they are quite a challenge and lots of fun, just ask a few of the guides who float the river a lot.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:44 AM

I spent some days this summer floating down to and fishing some "carp flats" as I like to call them, on the holston. those fish are VERY challenging.

a few times while floating there, I have seen massive stripers
Old 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Default Carp on the Holston

So they will take the green weenie? I bought a couple carp flies from LRO but didn't get one the only time I targeted them, I was trying to sight cast to em and the water was stained and windy kept em down. They get huge in there! When is the best time to fish em?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Troutman for the details and tips. I would like to head up that way and float the river to get a better perspective of the layout.

I believe some of those monsters would be a blast to catch.

Thanks again for your post...

CSM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Your welcome MB. A good day float that is easily done in a canoe, kayak, toon or drifter is the Indian cave to Nances Ferry. Nice riffles, runs and flat water along with some great scenery. There are a few small chutes and one really fun drop you need to pay attention to when you approach but great fishing along the route.
On no generation..

My buddy running it on the pulse.