Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-04-2008, 09:16 PM

Smile

Thanks for the info about stressing the fish. I am new to this sport, and had been already looking for a net. I will follow your advice in the future. Thanks for saying it nicely to the newby.

As for harvesting fish, I do take some. I carry a tape and strictly adhere to the slot limit. I fished Norris 3 days this week. I took 3 on Tuesday (Yummy)! Took 5 more small ones Wed. And releases all of them today. I am probably harvesting more heavily right now as this is the first year I'm catching lots of fish but none are wasted.

I have never seen the game warden or been checked, but they are out there. I know of 2 occassions they were out there in the last 2 weeks. Once was apparently and angry fisherman who called on a little boy who took a trophy trout from next to where this guy had been fishing all day. The boy was checked, it was legal and they went on there way. I have also seen people with fish in the slot limit. I wouldn't want to be them when the game warden shows up.

Also heard report of trophy brookies taken last weekend. One guy up there swore some were almost 30 inches. I would have to see evidence of that.

Happy Fishing!
James
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Thanks for the info about stressing the fish. I am new to this sport, and had been already looking for a net. I will follow your advice in the future. Thanks for saying it nicely to the newby.

As for harvesting fish, I do take some. I carry a tape and strictly adhere to the slot limit. I fished Norris 3 days this week. I took 3 on Tuesday (Yummy)! Took 5 more small ones Wed. And releases all of them today. I am probably harvesting more heavily right now as this is the first year I'm catching lots of fish but none are wasted.

I have never seen the game warden or been checked, but they are out there. I know of 2 occassions they were out there in the last 2 weeks. Once was apparently and angry fisherman who called on a little boy who took a trophy trout from next to where this guy had been fishing all day. The boy was checked, it was legal and they went on there way. I have also seen people with fish in the slot limit. I wouldn't want to be them when the game warden shows up.

Also heard report of trophy brookies taken last weekend. One guy up there swore some were almost 30 inches. I would have to see evidence of that.

Happy Fishing!
James
I'm gonna call a bluff on that brookie... Brookies don't get long, they get fat. If it's true, holy mess, but it probably isn't. I've been fly fishing since June and I've learned a lot. Make sure you wet your hands before handling trout, but it's alright to hold them as you did as long as it is briefly and you don't squeeze the **** out of them (literally). I'm not against keeping trout, but I will never keep another one because I hate cleaning them, and their ribs are a pain in the rear to eat around. The taste varies too much, also. The "wild" trout have pinker meat, and stockers have white meat.

The TWRA has absolutely pounded the Caney lately, sometime in September I went two Sundays in a row and got checked both days. One time, this guy had a nice brown hooked on 7X tippet and he fought it for about 15 minutes, TWRA came up, netted it for him, measured it at 17", let the guy take a picture, and released it. I had a chuckle at that. But they are tightening up and I like it, it keeps all the rednecks keeping everything they catch off the river.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 AM

I'll second the statement that they've been out on the Caney. It's been a little while since I've been checked, but it's been enough that I wouldn't hit the water w/o a license.

How's this for a solution if you see someone taking a fish they shouldn't be taking: Wade over to the shore where this guy is inevitably standing, whip out your cell phone or digital camera, say 'hey, I'll snap a shot of you w/ that fish', snap the photo, get the guys e-mail so you can 'send it to him', and then cc the TWRA...

unrealistic...even when dealing w/ rednecks...but it'd be cool if it worked...
Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 AM

ttas67,

Were you at CR Outfitters on Wednesday?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 AM

Cool

Guys,
As far as policing the stock limits - I have the assumption that it is not economically feasible for TVA to do this at the moment with the budget constraints. I have had some serious debates with some of the TVA Corporate Management about this and other field issues.

One issue is; most trout fisherman - do abide the the rules and have their licenses. Anymore, there a very few violators and giving out citations costs TVA Money. The fines may be a couple hundred dollars, but the end up tying up resource officers time in court, etc that is more valuable. Also, it does create a burden on the court system of Anderson County that is struggling with a meth crisis.

In contrast; the summer boating season nets a significant amount of citation dollars and benefits the fund pool significantly. Not sure about next year...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-05-2008, 11:22 AM

grouseman - yes.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
How does everyone handle a situation like this?
Call the poachers hotline, 1-800-831-1174. The number should be programed into your cell phone. Give them a description of the guy, and if you can get a vehicle description and a license # give them that. Right now it's also hunting season, so what TWRA has their hands full checking both hunters and fishermen.

Buzz
Old 12-06-2008, 11:38 AM

buzzmcmanus

Thanks for adding the poaching number to the post.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
grouseman77 - I'm of the same opinion as you. I've seen people (particularly at the weir), keeping fish in the slot. the signs for the slot limit are not noticeable at all. I've fished the clinch all my life and have only been checked or even seen TWRA there ONCE, and that was over 15 years ago.
I agree that the signs are not noticeable. Education on the regulations is minimal at best. I would guess that some people don't even know the proper way to measure a fish. I am pretty sure when measuring most fish, you are to pinch the tips of the caudal fin together.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
This has been a great week so far! The rain over the weekend was just enough to get the Little River flowing at a minimal boatable flow. So monday morning started off with a run from the Sinks waterfall to below the Elbow (2.6 mile above the Y or Wye to be correct). On the way home I stopped at LRO to get some line for my new set up (Sage DS2 5wt 9' & Ross reel). They were more than helpful as usual and didn't even charge me for backing. I would have to wait till Tuesday to try it out.

Tuesday and Wednesday I fished Norris before work. I arrived at the weir dam to find Bill from LRO, who helped me the day before with my line. Tuesday was slower than the typical slaughter than has been happening lately. One nice brown broke my 5X line 5 feet from me. I also had the hardest hit I had ever seen but he took my bait & ran. Another lady fishing on the weir caught this nice rainbow than her boyfriend or wife brought over so I could take a pic before it was released.

Today was better for me with the biggest Brown I have ever caught. 18.5 inches left him in the slot limit and to be caught again. It was a nice fight! Here are a couple pics.

I may just have to go back tomorrow as this sport has become addictive!
Good luck fishing!
James Locke
ducky,

May I ask what that is around your neck? I've been puzzling at the picture you posted and, I have to say, I am perplexed.

My guess is you are wearing some type of motorcycle gear (?).