Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Default Western NC

I am planning a winter trip here and am looking for access information on the Davidson and Tuckasegee. I plan to do mostly wade fishing and will be trying upper Tuck and lower Tuck. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ACinEastTN; 12-10-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Wester NC info

Hey man I live over here in Western NC, With regards to the Tuck, I would fish up above the Webster bridge. There is good fishing from the bridge all the way up to and under where the interstate, it's kind of an interstate, crosses over the river. To get there you can make a right at the traffic light by the Ingles grocery. That road will wind around and actually cross the river, it is the wWebster bridge. From there you can drive up on either side of the river, just park and get in. The Davidson is not my favorite. If you want big fish with shoulders I would fish the new trophy section in Cherokee, It is on big cove road, the strech runs from where the parkkway crosses over the road, and goes up about 2 miles, you need a special license to fish it but man you got a shot at some of the biggest trout you will ever catch, and don't try gold bead head patterns there cause they aint into em! Good luck and let me know if you need any more info! Make sure to check the water release for the Tuck too, here is the link. SeeYa
http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/nan...w-releases.asp
Click on Scheduled releases, There are 2 dams, East is the big one and west is smaller, can't wade if both are on, and it seems to be best when the west is running a bit, when the East runs it is a bit swift but fishable.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM

Default Carolina Boy

thanks, so what is the name of the road that runs along the Tuck? Do you know any thing about fishing the upper Tuck before it runs into the lake?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM

I am not sure what the road is called, you can run along the river on either side in that strech. Now if you drive past Western Car Univ, you can fish a upper strech near a park on the right, I have only fished it a couple times and it was not as productive, every one I know, guides etc. fish the section that is esentially between that Webster bridge and the Univ.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Default Davidson access

The davidson may not be as productive as some would like,but is a beautiful place to fish!plenty of pull offs and the stream is far enuff from the road you don't hear the cars.start at the hatchery bridge at the upper end and work down into what i call the gorge section.try just above the hatchery bridge once also.full of large trout that have had everything in the world thrown at them.a near exercise in futility but interesting none the less.there is an excellant campground along the lower end.