Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-09-2009, 07:21 PM

Default Yellow and flash Wooly Bugger

Seriously....he pounced out of the bush I was casting under, snagged it, got claws caught in the chennile and was into 25 yards of backing before I got him loose from it...think I needed to set the drag a little heavier?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:31 PM

Too funny...cat probably thought it was a mouse or something. Hey I sympathize w/ the cat, I caught myself out in Montana in June. I was digging around in a my vest, and a fly that somehow found it's way into my vest got me. Had to go to the ER at Madison River Valley Hospital where they filmed the part movie the Patriot w/ Steven Seagal. Fun stuff...memories, memories, memories.... So far the biggest thing I've ever caught on a fly rod is well...myself...
Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgp759 View Post
Okay...let's try for a bit more of an in-depth definition here. Capes and/or neck hackle are from the neck of the bird. If you look at a full cape, you can see how the feather size varies from the small feathers at the top of the cape to larger feathers at the bottom. If you try to visualize how this looks on the bird, the small feathers are around the head, which is obviously cut away when the bird is skinned to make the cape, and the feathers get larger as you move down the neck.

Saddle hackle is from the back and sides of the bird. Visualize the bird from the side, and the area where you would put a saddle on it if it were a horse. This is the "saddle" of the bird, and where the hackle gets its name from. Typically, a saddle hackle patch will not have as many different sizes of feathers as a neck, but they will be longer. The longer length is ideal for palmered hackle flies, or some bushy dry flies if the feathers are dry fly quality. Lower quality saddle hackles with more web are typically used for streamer patterns.

Paula.....What was in that kool-aid and where do I get some??

Bob

Thanks for the help. That explains a lot. Hopefully I can get the KGB...I mean the IRS off my back this year and get to a tying class.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Thanks for the help. That explains a lot. Hopefully I can get the KGB...I mean the IRS off my back this year and get to a tying class.

Funny stuff...