Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Preach it from the Mountain tops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
I have to agree with plunker. I am a recovering Tournament Bass Fisher and the first time I went trout fishing in the smokies I spent several hundred dollars to catch a fish that would be bait where I came from. That being said I have continued on in my pursuit for the illustrious trout. I have found them to be quite a bit harder to catch and with the proper rods just as fun. I would give up by bass water anyday for a place on a beuatiful trout stream. I will take trout over bass any day of the week. Now redfish is a whole new ball game.
and you know...my waders are a lot cheaper than a 21' Ranger too! and they don't use near as much gas

Better not get started on the whole Redfish thing...3 lb. Red vs 8 lb. Bass My money is on Red
Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys View Post
I've been bass fishing for the majprity of my life, trout fishing for about 3 years. It seems to me that the bass can be compared to a gluton when it comes to eating. Some days, just about anything you throw at them will get them to hit. KInd of like a kid attacking a cheeseburger. Trout, to me, are more like the finicky eater. It seems that they wait and wait and wait until the right looking beef tenderloin, medium rare, comes floating by, And then and only then will they decide to eat! I've had days when skunked by both, but in my book the trout is more elusive of the two.
My thoughts exactly. I've baitfished trout for 15 years and caught a lot of fish, but it got too easy. I would only fish at the lake when I couldn't get out to a trout stream. Stripers go nuts after rooster tails, I caught my biggest striper on a white and silver rooster tail.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
and you know...my waders are a lot cheaper than a 21' Ranger too! and they don't use near as much gas
Amen to that.

Quote:

Better not get started on the whole Redfish thing...3 lb. Red vs 8 lb. Bass My money is on Red
I hope to find out what redfish are all about this April. I hear good things.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Default Strap it on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Amen to that.

I hope to find out what redfish are all about this April. I hear good things.
HOGS my Man, HOGS with attitude!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 PM

I have no care to go after reds, saltwater scares the stuff outta me. But I would take a fiesty 8" brookie or brown over a 5+ pound largemouth any day. The only bass that has ever taken drag out on me was the biggest striper I've caught, but multiple trout have taken drag out on me. They're just absolutely crazy.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Default From Bass to Bream to Trout

Well guys I have read all your posts and I feel that I am in good company. I too use to tournament fish with the bait casting reels and 7' heavy to medium heavy casting rods. I lost interest in this type of fishing about 3 years ago when I read an article a guy had written who lived on a pressure fished lake in California. He was writing about using extremely light tackle to catch hugh bream, spots and largemouth. That article change my way of fishing forever. I started using micro light rods 7 ½’ long with small spinning reels spooled with 2 to 4 lb. test line using tiny grubs, rooster tails, and even live leeches about 1/2" long---this method of fishing has enabled me to catch 3 times the fish I use to catch with the heavy equipment. Landing a large 1 lb. bream or a 4 lb. spot or even a 4 to 5 lb. largemouth takes a lot of skill especially using this type of equipment. It has become a challenge now to land the fish that I use to jerk out of the water with heavy tackle. The micro learning experience has lead me to trout fishing a couple of years ago and I am hooked forever---why because I had developed a love for landing the fish with light tackle before I tried to land the weary trout. I have found that the fight the trout puts up is just as exciting as landing a large beam or spot on light tackle. I think that one of the most appealing things about trout fishing is the challenge of getting the fish to take your fly and once hooked seeing the fish go airborne. I am still in the learning stages and will never learn all there is to learn about trout fishing but that is what makes the sport so appealing to me. There is nothing like being on a beautiful stream on a warm summer day or an early spring day trying to land the trout of a lifetime. I can’t wait to get back on the water as soon as the weather gets right.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 AM

I haven't hooked into any large trout (that I know of) with a fly rod. I hope I will, but I'd be perfectly happy catching the fish that I do. My biggest trout was ironically my first trout (on the fly). I was fishing with an elk hair caddis on the Caney when a 14" brown SLAMMED it and went airborne. It was a tough fight and I thought I was going to lose him but he was hooked behind that flap in his jaw, it wasn't going anywhere.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 AM

I to used to chase the bucket mouth's, still do occasionally on the fly rod.
Ounce for ounce, i find it hard to beat a bluegill

Grumpy
Old 01-15-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Hi, Charlie.

Quote:
My name is Charlie (Hi, Charlie.) I too am a reformed Baitcaster...it occurs to me that I had CRANKBAITS bigger than some of the trout I've caught...heck I was half way into a forward cast with my first Brookie before I even realized he was aboard...poor little Guy took the "E" ticket ride on the preceeding backcast

Nevertheless; I wouldn't trade one of the trout for a whole case of DT20 Rapalas!

I don't have to tell you how hard it was sending my dad pictures of my first trout...as it lay in the palm of my hand.
His comment, "Didn't know you used live bait for trout."
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM

I grew up fishing bass and panfish from one side of the family, trout, salmon, steelhead from the other side - not with fly (wish I knew then what I know know)...but anyone who knows me knows I'll fish for anything by any method, I just prefer the fly rod. I thinks they all have something to offer, and more so with a fly rod. I kinda gave up texas rigged bucket mouths after the ten pounder on the wall (back when I mounted fish) My first love is trout, and specs being the the top because the environment and you've got to love a brookies enthusiasm and ease to a fly...
But I tell ya, If you really want a pursuit and a tough battle - though not glamourous -check out a poor mans bone - carp on a fly will give you all you can handle both in angling skill and fight...had one last year straighten out a 1/0 saltwater hook on me...the brute had some shoulders for sure...but its a blast and something else to add to joy of our sport.