Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Lightbulb rod stocking question

I might be a dummy for this question and this may have already been addressed in the past. But, does anyone know why LRO does not stock a few of the smaller cane rod makers rods? I was just wondering cause the individuals could get request filled quicker than waiting for like T&T or Winston and all LRO would need to do is have a couple on shelf for people to look at and cast. Then the customer could just place an order through LRO for a rod like the one they cast. LRO would only have to have a couple demo rods on hand. Like I said it might be a dumb question but I see where both rod maker and LRO could benefit from this along with the person wanting a cane rod but not wanting to wait three years.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM

The thing that I as a new rod maker find difficult is that both parties are interested in making a buck. I am not out to make a living building rods but do want some money for my time. I am new and don't feel that I can ask as much for a rod as the more well known rod shops out there. It is not that the quality is that much better from well known shops but they have the reputation, knowledge, wisdom, and the time in the business that allow customers to trust them and their rods. It takes me close to 60 hours + to build a nice fishable 2/2 rod and I probably put in over $250 in materials into that rod. I would at least like to make minimum wage for my time. That means I have to sell the rod for $650. Not bad for a hobby builder and the buyer gets a really nice rod. Now if I go to a fly shop and would like to offer a rod on their shelf, they need their money and most will probably want to get about 30% minimum for the deal. I have worked in a fly shop and that would not be an ideal markup for them. So now the buyer is going to pay about $850-$900 for the rod which is nearing a reputable maker's cost.

I think the main bonus is the no wait and that is most likely what the buyer would be going for.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Good points. I was just wondering. Not being in the buisness I have no clue. GMREEVES I am still trying to make it to B-Ham since the holidays to meet you and see some of your work in person. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Just give me a call whenever you want to stop by. I am usually in my shed playing, I mean working on the weekends.

I've thought about the business a lot because when I was in college and working at a fly shop during the summers, I thought that is what I wanted to do. The longer I worked there, I saw how hard it was to really make it work. It gives me a great deal of respect for fly shop owners that have a brick and mortar presence. I wanted to be a guide as well and had a few offers in Idaho, but then my education in the computer field would become obsolete and my education would have been wasted. Rod making is something that I am really enjoying and while I don't see how the pro's do it and make a living, I can see why they do it and I would like to do it after I retire to keep a little income flowing in. That is still about 30 to 35 years away though.

I know there are shops in the Southeast that do and will do consignment type sales with the small makers. It is just a matter of being able to produce a rod and it actually make it to the store. Most of the ones I make, I either like it too much to get rid of or they are already spoken for.

Last edited by gmreeves; 01-21-2009 at 04:45 PM..
Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM

I will definately do just that. If you do not mind drop me a line with your phone number to mcredfish38@yahoo.com I willl definately stop by at some point.