Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 PM

Default smokey mtn rods

I like cane rods---There's something about fishing bamboo that's fun especially when you have a rod that casts nice, it cast's itself,hyperbolic,a tip that gives a whole bunch--------------last wednesday I put my hands on a Helios it was so light,so easy to cast,the action sooo...smooth...sooo semi fast....like i said I like cane rods..i guess i will die fishing bamboo....but as far as graphite goes...the Helios is a wonderful rod....
Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM

I recently cast a helios rod too and loved it. However the price tag is ridiculous. Hopefully after a few years the price will drop significantly and I can get one.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 PM

I feel that the rod companies will have a hard time ever designing something to take the place of the helios. The reason alot of people do not fish boo rods is price. However, the prices of quality graphite rods is slowly closing that gap. Especially if look up small rod builders for cane and not big name builders. Cane will make a return one day I believe as the mainstay rods. By the way I love bamboo also.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM

I had a boo rod built by walter babb and it was not much more than the helios and is way more valuable to me. Just a little idea you might consider.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM

Default flyred06

I own 3 of Walter's bamboo rods--a 7wt,5wt,and 4 wt--Walter named the 7wt"The Big Gun"--I use it when I fish the Cumberland River.It is awesome.It is a roll caster's dream.It has lot's of power and casting it is effortless.All three rods cast great,and they are beautiful things to look at--Walter is going to build me a 3wt sometime this year.I was impressed by the Helios,but whoever said they are too high is right,I would much rather give the money to a top rod builder to craft a bamboo rod just the way you want it,heirloom stuff