Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-31-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Heading to the Caney

tomorrow around noon...will be in the wife's Corolla If you see me, say howdy!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:24 PM

See you there...bring your own rock, its going to be a zoo...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 AM

I figure I'll wedge myslef in some where! I think I'll bring a shoe horn!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Yesterday was super crowded...I'm sure today will be about the same...Good luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:58 PM

wasn't too crowded, but no where to park at the dam until later, so I fished HH. Well, I would tell you what worked, but I left my dry box and midge/emerger box at home by my tying station...Not fun. I did get to try a lot of streamers. Got a hit or two on a black bugger with crystal flash, but wasnt very productive. Lot's of wind from all directions. Saw guys fishing midges that caught a few. Fun day out of the house, even if I did get skunked.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:20 PM

Seemed kinda strange to me today. Started out up towards the dam and got into several fish quickly on a stripper midge but then things slowed down to a crawl. I would catch a fish and then go for long periods of time without so much as a hit. Kept changing flies and each one was good for a fish or two but never did find a hot pattern... Moved down to Happy in the middle of the afternoon and caught a few more but still awfully slow. Here's the best fish I managed today...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 PM

David,
Looks like an excellent candidate for February fish of the month! Nice.

Rachel,
If you're out there, looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down early. Get casting!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Seemed kinda strange to me today. Started out up towards the dam and got into several fish quickly on a stripper midge but then things slowed down to a crawl. I would catch a fish and then go for long periods of time without so much as a hit. Kept changing flies and each one was good for a fish or two but never did find a hot pattern... Moved down to Happy in the middle of the afternoon and caught a few more but still awfully slow. Here's the best fish I managed today...

I was down at Happy for a few hours around 12-3. Stood by the ramp. Stood in the middle of the river. Nothing. My cast is rusty and I didn't have anything but streamers with me. The wind was killing me.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM

That is some depressing news, I always counted on the Caney for a solid day no matter how crowded it was. I may have to get up there soon before it gets any worse.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up Fishing the Caney with David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh10567 View Post
That is some depressing news, I always counted on the Caney for a solid day no matter how crowded it was. I may have to get up there soon before it gets any worse.
I met up with David this morning at the dam and we fished the dam pool, then the crescent below the stairs for a couple hours before moving down to HH. I didn't do quite as well as David did but I did manage a couple. Same pattern though...I'd go fish-less for a while and change out my offering and get one on immediately, then go fish-less again until I changed out my setup.

Very spotty fishing, but I don't think it had anything to do with fishing pressure. Today was pretty much a cakewalk compared to the combat fishing on the day after Thanksgiving! I wonder if maybe all of the recent heavy generation has had an impact on their normal feeding patterns.

The other thing I noticed today was that the only really noticeable "midging" came after a few minutes of calm. The wind was quite gusty at times and, now that I think about it, all of my fish came in periods of relative calm -- except for my last fish.

My last fish was my personal best for today. When we got to HH at about 4:00, the water was still falling out so I decided to go bigger and deeper. David headed upstream from the boat ramp fishing the little islands and backwaters while I waded straight out from the boat ramp. I tied about four feet of 5x off my furled leader, tied on a red Copper John, and dropped a #14 BHPT about two feet of the bend of the Copper John. First cast was into the wind and I watched my indicator drift right past me. About 10 feet downstream it twitched and I lifted... pretty little 13 - 14 inch brown.

A short while after that, I was telling David about it and it occurred to me that all of my fish had come at the end of a drift, as I was lifting the rod. Maybe there's a tip there for somebody
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck