Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM

Default have you seen this style popper

Below I am attaching a link to a popper pattern that I had never seen untill today. Has anyone tried this to know how it works?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLtI9...eature=related
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 AM

Default Earplug Popper

Flyred06-We use these things all the time on my towboat.Buy 'em by the boxfull cheap!Have tied several using a different type.=-straight cylinder shape.Never tried this shape before but they should work well due to their softnessThey come in different colors.I wouldn't glue it on though.They should stay in place fairly well and you couldd change colors w/o tying new fly.Will grab a handfull from the dispensor by the engine room door and tie some.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Swampus,

If you get some tied up, post some pics. I am going to try this myself. From years of shooting and working in a factory previously I probably have some lying around also. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Earplug Options

flyred06-Just had deckhand bring me some plugs.Forgot how soft they are-fish should onto them longer`,like deerhair.Our current supply is green.Frog green!Another thought-reverse plug and you have a slider. A little wire or other weight at the eye and it becomes a floater/diver or straight diver.Talk about versatility!THey're easy to penetrate so rubber legs are possible.Don't know about paint.Have to experiment.BTW-the earplugs are so soft you could use them for foam boby material.About the same as the foam used for ants.I can imagine caddis bodies,humpties,and beetles.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 PM

Below is a quote below the youtube.

"i made one of these years back with an earplug similar to this,, looked great and everything,,, but when i used it the thing soaked up alot of water and grew half a size bigger,,basically turned into a orange blob... I havent tried it since, but i thought maybe coating it with something to make it water resistant.."

You can buy glazes, varnish, sealer form Michael's, Hobby Lobby etc? (couple bucks a jar)These "might?" prevent soaking. Soaking on a "Dahlberg Diver type" might not be bad.
If you guys try tying some and soaking them let us know. I don't fish many hard poppers prefering deer hair as bass hang on to them longer.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum