Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 PM

Default All Carp, All the Time.

Here's a site with some good Carp flies. My personal favorite is the Lil Bugger, especially in Brown/Tan. Barry's Carp fly has also been very productive. I've read a few posts and the Clouser Swimming Nymph seems to be a winner.
http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/c-219-carp-flies.aspx

I rarely throw anything bigger than #8's for Carp. I use floro tippet and usually go with 3X. My biggest Carp, 31", came on a #8 olive craw using my 5wt. I have also caught several 4-5 lbers on my 3wt. I was fishing for SM and Rockies with the 3wt when I saw a pod of Carp and couldn't pass it up. I pulled 4 fish out of the group and landed 3 of them.

MTD - The only comment I have about your technique is to downsize a little. But if it works, don't change.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification Seagull. I sent you an email.
I've not seen Rex but I do try to go see Roger when he is in town. I used to go by his shop every month when I was in Waynesville working. Always enjoy hearing the history behind the flies.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM

seagull I will definately shoot you an email for that christmas bugger pattern. It sound like a neat fly I might can use for several different things.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Default Waterwolf

Waterwolf, where are you? You're the resident carp on the fly expert. What flies do you like and techniques?
I've been tying up the clouser swimming nymph pattern for this summer.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 AM

Default Carpwolf

Yeah, the young waterwolf is a carp expert! We had him with us on Watts Bar during the willow fly hatch about 14 years ago, and he hooked a monster carp on a 4 or 5 wt. He fought it for at least 20 minutes, and then asked one of us to take over because his arm was killing him. We told him to land his own @#%#@ fish, and get out of the way so we could fish. He ended up sitting on top of the motor and fought it for at least another 20 minutes, and finally got it in the net. It was at least a 25 pounder and it wore him out, but we would not let him quit (or would we help him). He was so much fun in his formative years. And yes, I can vouch that he loves the mighty carp.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 AM

Do you wish to catch them in lakes or river?
On dries or wets?

Those two questions are very important. From there I can give advice from way too many hours spent chasing the crazy carp.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:33 PM

I mainly fish rivers, but I would like your thoughts on both.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Yeah, the young waterwolf is a carp expert! We had him with us on Watts Bar during the willow fly hatch about 14 years ago, and he hooked a monster carp on a 4 or 5 wt. He fought it for at least 20 minutes, and then asked one of us to take over because his arm was killing him. We told him to land his own @#%#@ fish, and get out of the way so we could fish. He ended up sitting on top of the motor and fought it for at least another 20 minutes, and finally got it in the net. It was at least a 25 pounder and it wore him out, but we would not let him quit (or would we help him). He was so much fun in his formative years. And yes, I can vouch that he loves the mighty carp.
Yeah you rotten scoundrels left me alone with a Sage 590LL and beowulf. Lucky to be alive, I am after that duel.

BTW I caught his cousin this year on that same bank during the cicada mania. I was better equipped this go round with an 8 wt XP. He lost, but still not as quick as my arms would have liked.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 PM

Default Hey WW. Look familiar?

Few pics from a big hatch night. You can literally hear the millions of willow flies take off at one time. At one point this night we thought a deck was on fire and looked and the willow flies had started to swarm. pics are my son and Seagull. My favorite fly is a #4 Comparadun tied with a foam wrapped body, and gray deer hair. Big and buggy

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 02-09-2009 at 10:06 PM..
Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 PM

Nice catches. Love that photo of the willow flies. Looks like you definately have the next generation hooked. Maybe you and him will have many years and photos of fishing together yet to come.