Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 AM

I started to think the opposite - mostly what people though were midges, were mainly blackflies or whatever the non biting form we've got around here...the larvae are everywhere in the tailwaters and often confused for midges - but hey, really its all the same for a patten so no point splitting to many hairs - zebras, zebras, zebras - it'll cover your midge and your blackfly larvae. Though, emerging - its interesting to note that blackflies bubble up and do the caddis thing so for what thats worth...so thier dry profile is different if you'd really want to make seperate patterns - sometimes that part does make a difference on finicky fish... heck when in doubt, chuck a streamer go for the monster thats trying to eat the little guys sipping the micro bugs
Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 AM

I think "black fly" is a generic term of that iritating little bitty black "bug" that comes off on the soho that you can bearly see. I don't think it is any kind of Latin genus species type thing. I have never understood all the technical stuff. If it looks like a mayfly throw a PT if it looks like a little black fly of a thing use a zebra or something. I try to keep it simple, if not you will loose me! But simple catches fish!

STU
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM

K.I.S.S. method.....i like it
Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 PM

Cockeye Valdez - Are you a Semper Fi guy?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Anthony, Glad to see you on here. Would love to hear some of your SoHostories.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 AM

I agree - fish don't speak latin, (nor the labels on our gear for that matter ) and subscribing to the KISS is my goto 99% of the time...sometimes though, theres that frustrating 1% when working a particular fish, that some distinctions in bugology or adapting a different technique can hook that fish where my general goto methods had previously failed...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM

Thumbs up Semper Fi

No Tedious, I'm not "Semper Fi" I'm just a guy that is addicted to the So.Ho. I fish there 45-50 times a year. I, like most everyone have had occasion to think that I have figured it out. After all, if you go thru all the seasons and have sucess, same approach should work next season. NOT SO ! This winter has been slower for me. The last 2 months not been the same as last year. Hey thats why the fish growing. I take the sport seriously, perhaps too much.
I still say, "the drive is too far and the fishing is too technical, go to the Clinch and I'll let you know when the fishin is easy on the So.Ho.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 PM

You mean fish can't read? Ok I guess I can leave the Orvis hat at the house then! CV the soho has been whipping my butt this winter too don't feel bad.
STU
Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Default not last week

well, what a difference 60 degree days make !
everyone who owns a fly rod was in, around, beside thrashing the so.ho. At one point I looked up and I thought I saw the "three horsemen" coming up the river, one on each side with one in the middle. For a second, I wasn't sure if they were fishing or trying to shock up a fish. the water temp was 42 early but I expect the number of anlers body temp. raised it a few degrees.
T.V.A. generated til 11 a.m. thank you so much for that Kilgore, its a long way to Kingston, maybe their trying to wash out the fly ash.
was a hatch for a couple hours (1-3) then the fish decided to take a nap. left me with my butt kicked. maybe 10 fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
You mean fish can't read? Ok I guess I can leave the Orvis hat at the house then! CV the soho has been whipping my butt this winter too don't feel bad.
STU
Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 PM

I was there saturday this last week too many people I spent about all day hiding and looking for a place to fish. I wish I had stayed home. If there are many trip like that this month not sure if I will renew my Tenn. Lic. or not his year. I just don't like crowds.

STU