Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 PM

Default Caney 2/16

Last night I planned to arrive at 10:00 at the steps to begin my day of fishing. Well, my dad came in late last night and wanted to go as well, so we packed up the jon boat for an all day float. Today was one of the best days on the Caney that I've ever had.

We were floating idly in the water under the dam getting ready, and my dad was able to get in the water much faster being a bait fisherman He made multiple casts with EVERYTHING that has worked for us- Garlic Powerbait, orange Powerbait, nightcrawlers, you name it. Remembering Dwayne's post earlier, I tied on a sz. 14 EHC in orange, and the usual sz. 18 black and silver zebra midge. On the first cast a trout hit the EHC in still water. I couldn't believe it. Mad props to Dwayne!

A few casts later I caught the first fish of the day- a FIESTY 4" rainbow He literally unhooked himself, and jumped out of the net. All this action before we even reached the steps! I caught this brown just after the steps, and had to take a picture for the Feb. Fish of the Month.

I'd say I caught a little over a dozen fish, all rainbows in the 4-12" range except for that brown. I caught more fish than my dad, but his were more quality:

The reason today was my best day is because I caught so many fish within a short stretch of time. I might have caught 1 or 2 after the first bend from the dam, other than that they were all on that main stretch. We were either catching fish and didn't have time for photos, or we were sitting on our numb hands!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Glad you guys had a good time and glad I could help. I must have tried 4 rigs before I found the one that worked. I've been doing a LOT of reading, so I think I'm starting to get the hang of a few things.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 02-16-2009 at 10:39 PM..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM

I tried using a BH Flashback Hares Ear and casted it so much I either lost it on a fish, on the bottom, or cast it off. I tried a cream/white scud, and no takers. Put the zebra midge back on, and got a few bumps close to Happy Hollow.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 PM

So all of your fish were on the dry?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 PM

No lol, none were but I was just shocked that on the first cast a fish hit your suggestion of a bright colored dry. All came on the zebra.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:45 PM

Default Caney 2/16/09

I was out there today as well...I was wading most of the day at Happy Hollow, I got three average stocker-bows and one nice Brook maybe 12 inches. I actually had a couple rise to a #16 Parachute Adams but of the four I landed, I got with a #14 Prince nymph.

Good to see ya'll had a succesful day
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
No lol, none were but I was just shocked that on the first cast a fish hit your suggestion of a bright colored dry. All came on the zebra.
I swear the other day, they would not touch a Zebra.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainshaker View Post
I was out there today as well...I was wading most of the day at Happy Hollow, I got three average stocker-bows and one nice Brook maybe 12 inches. I actually had a couple rise to a #16 Parachute Adams but of the four I landed, I got with a #14 Prince nymph.

Good to see ya'll had a succesful day
Did you see us? We got out of the water at like 4:30ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I swear the other day, they would not touch a Zebra.
Gotta love it man.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 AM

Trey, glad you guys had a good day! Good to know there's still a few fish around anyway...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Did you see us? We got out of the water at like 4:30ish.

I believe I did....I was the one attempting to cast the entire width of the river; strange, I never did quite make it.