Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM

I don't think it matters that they don't get money from the tickets. They get paid a salary to issue the tickets. I do agree about the calls though.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I don't think it matters that they don't get money from the tickets. They get paid a salary to issue the tickets. I do agree about the calls though.
Somebody was stating that they don't recieve alot of money from the court system. I was just pointing out they don't recieve any. I do believe they still have a job to do. I hunt with a couple game wardens, and they wish they recieved the money, but they would write a ticket to me in a heart beat if I was knowingly breaking the law.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Just got my latest copy of Tennessee Wildlife magazine. In this issue they are talking about brown trout and how they expect the next state record to come from South Holston, Ft. Patrick Henry (), or the Clinch.

They also hint at future reg changes to come on the Caney to bring it up to par with the above mentioned. They also talk about how it is critical to not fish for browns while on the redds.

Just thought you may want to know that this topic is also being talked about places other than this board.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Somebody was stating that they don't recieve alot of money from the court system. I was just pointing out they don't recieve any. I do believe they still have a job to do. I hunt with a couple game wardens, and they wish they recieved the money, but they would write a ticket to me in a heart beat if I was knowingly breaking the law.
Got ya. Easy to get lost in these threads.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Just got my latest copy of Tennessee Wildlife magazine. In this issue they are talking about brown trout and how they expect the next state record to come from South Holston, Ft. Patrick Henry (), or the Clinch.

They also hint at future reg changes to come on the Caney to bring it up to par with the above mentioned. They also talk about how it is critical to not fish for browns while on the redds.

Just thought you may want to know that this topic is also being talked about places other than this board.
yea i got that too. nice to read. i wonder if they know about that big brown that is posted on here. cause they say the next record will be caught on a jerk bait. and i think that monster on here was on a flyrod.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
and i think that monster on here was on a flyrod.
Yeah, on 5x and no net, supposedly.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaildarter View Post
I'll just remind everyone that the trout in the Caney Fork are all stockers. They can't reproduce there, unlike the hordes of big smallmouth that the dam mostly eliminated. They are only there because TWRA rasises them on trout chow and dumps them off a truck into the river. Much more like an agricultural operation than some wild, freeflowing trout river. To me it's irrelevant whether the trout are caught on corn and hauled out by Bubba, shot with a bow and arrow, gigged off a red, or caught on 5x and gently released. It's like hunting on a stocked game farm: fun and all that, but morality has got nothing to do with it. I rarely fish tailwaters that are too screwed up to have natually reproducing fish. To each his own, I guess.
I have to disagree here they may not be reproducing in great numbers but I have caught several wild browns in here.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I doubt any of the tailwaters will be producing record size fish with today's new generation schedules. Also; the rivers have more environmental pressure on them as well that has greatly reduced the odds of a fish making it to record size. There could be a Brook Trout (Hybrid) that breaks the record if someone takes the time to record it.
Quote:
I think the daily creel for brown trout should be one fish and no more than two. Also; TWRA should institute a no harvest period of trout during spawns. I am sure this would be a nightmare to enforce.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-18-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I doubt any of the tailwaters will be producing record size fish with today's new generation schedules.

I disagree with this. The generation schedules makes it tough on the anglers to get to the fish, but I'm pretty sure the trout do just fine and grow well when theres plenty of water. Now, high fall and winter flows can affect a spawn for sure and if that's what you meant then I too agree. But the fish do quite well when the waters flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I think the daily creel for brown trout should be one fish and no more than two. Also; TWRA should institute a no harvest period of trout during spawns. I am sure this would be a nightmare to enforce.
You're right. Any progressive, spawn protecting regulations would be great. Unfortunately, it would be tough to enforce with the current resources available. I know myself and the Governor have called the TWRA agents directly to report the same guy more than 10 times last year. But, I still see him out there most every week. And he still shows me a stringer of slot fish every time.

So, those of us who follow the rules will follow the rules and those that don't will kill protected fish.

I was really hoping the new guide license revenue would allow more patrols on the tailwaters, maybe even a clandestine boat of casual dress officers from time to time. That would cut down on poaching greatly if these folks who fish away from the easy to get to spots got caught once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaildarter View Post
I rarely fish tailwaters that are too screwed up to have natually reproducing fish. To each his own, I guess.
Then you're missing out on great fishing. I don't disagree that most of the fish in our tailwaters are stocked. However, most of our tailwaters (minus the Hiwassee) do very well at growing large fish. Did these fish come from a hatchery? Yes? However, after a few months in our rich tailwaters 95% of anglers can't tell a difference in it or a wild fish. It's also silly to assume these fish are just silly stockers that will eat anything. They adjust to the food base quickly and are not easily fooled by novice rods and poor presentation.

Now, these tailwaters are mostly stocked. However, almost all of the tailwaters (again, minus the Hiwassee) have spawning fish with some success. I see rainbow and brown trout fry in all the rivers I fish. Some in great numbers even. Now if these rivers had some protected areas we could see a substantial spawn. I doubt it would be enough to stop stocking all together, but it would help.

Now let's take a look about your gigging off redds comment. Would you feel the same about this comment if we were discussing the SoHo? A mountain stream? I really hope this was just some poor attempt at riling folks on an internet message board while hiding behind an unknown moniker, and not your true thoughts and beliefs as an angler. Cause that's the exact same attitude all the jackasses who ignore the current regulations possess. If that's so than I'm glad you don't fish the tailwaters often and hope to never see you on the river.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:21 PM

FYI, This is a 7 year old thread that was just brought back up yesterday.

snaildarter hasn't posted since this thread, 7 years ago.