Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM

Default Hello Everyone!!

Hello my name is Brad and im new to the forum, and fairly new to fly fishing. I started about a 1 1/2 years ago. I fished in the smokies for the first time last May. I remember when i was a kid (i'm 25 now) on vacation and saw someone fly fishing and i just sat and watched for like 20 or 30 minutes and said to myself man i want to learn how to do that. And then finally like 13 years later i finally decided to. And let me tell you IM ADDICTED on the verge of obsessed. Im at work im thinkin about fishing, im at home...thinking about fishing, sleeping...u guessed it dreaming about fishing. Unfortunately i live in kentucky, not exactly the best place to be for the sport, but I have several good stocked streams to fish close by, and they surprisingly have a good carry over rate. They're mainly spring creeks, cave water im guessing, being KY is sitting on the biggest cave systems in the world. Im coming down to the smokies in april to fish for 2 days and can't wait. And can't wait to finally come to LRO. I love going to fly fishing stores, probably cuz we don't really have any real good ones close by. But anyways enough blabbin. Can't wait to get to know some new people and learn some more stuff. Thats one thing ive learned about fly fishing, you never stop learning.

thanx for reading
brad
Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Default Welcome!

Brad,

Good to have you on the board. I started fly fishing about the same time you did; I just waited 30 years longer to get started. This board is a great place to be to feed that addiction. I guarantee you'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun with this community of folks. And there's a bunch of fellow Kentuckians on here to share with. Enjoy!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Welcome. I have been fly fishing for around 13 years. This obsession has carried me from state to state fishing for any thing that bites a fly. Now it has taken me into fly tying which I think is more addictive than fishing. Any way welcome and can't wait fro you to share your stories.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Hi Brad
We do have some streams that have trout even if they are stocked. I think you are close by since I too am close to Mammoth Cave. The KY Dept Fish/Wildlife does tell where they stock. Its not the GSMNP type of environment but it is something for the fish fix. Lets not forget about the Cumberland, works best if you have a boat. I am a wader though.

When the weather gets warm start using the fly rod for pan fish and smallmouth.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Treecatcher, i think i read a post of yours that said you live in BG. I do too, born and raised. Man i went up and fished the cumberland for the first time back in november and only got 2 little bows. I fish Lick Creek in simpson county and trammell down in allen. I proabably hit each one atleast once a month. I cant go more than 2 or 3 weeks without getting a line wet. Trammel actually has lots of carry over fish in it. You just have to get a long ways from the heavily hit spots. Ive caught a 16-17 incher down there. then in the next pool a 15in smallmouth. Go a good piece upstream from the blankenship bridge and you'll find the catch a release browns that they release every march. We should meet up down there sometime this spring. Always looking for new fishing buddies.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Hey bredmon930
Looking forward to it once it warms a bit.

Last time I went to Lick Creek I went downstream and started fishing up and somewhere along the way a church group came in behind me and started baptizing folks. When I realized what was happening, I went over and sat on the bank and waited for the service to end.

Nice folks but their services did little to improve the fishing!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 AM

Default Welcome

Welcome to the board!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."