Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Smile Report on Sarasota Bay fishing

We, as in two couples, went to Florida for a week to thaw out and, of course, I wanted to fish a little. Early on, the weather was a bit cool and windy. We waited until Wed when the wind finally eased and the temperature rose into the high 70s. We quickly booked a half day with Tom Stephens of Top Notch Fishing Charters out of Deep Pass on the southern tip of Longboat Key. I was the only fly slinger; my friend and the guide were throwing jigs. I threw a chartreuse Clouser using an 8-wt Orvis Trident and a Lamson LP-3.5 with a sink tip line.
I got into the fish first and for quite a while was the only one catching anything. The Clouser attracted several Ladyfish, a Bluefish, a Spanish Mackerel, a Pompano and a whole lot of Trout. Jig fishing finally picked up, but the Clouser was the most consistent lure.
After a few hours of slinging an 8-wt sink tip, the guide noticed I was slowing down my retrieve. He commented that the fly needed more movement, more hop, so I put a little more strip into it and the catching success returned.
I can't remember a day with more variety of fish on a fly, and overall numbers were really good. The fighting strength of saltwater fish is something to behold. In all, it was great.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Well Done! Outfishing Spin fishing in the salt!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM

Did you have to tie on a new clouser after that bluefish and spanish hit it
Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the report! Any pics you would care to share with the rest of us land locked folks? This is getting me more excited for my trip to Garden City in 2 weeks. Hopefully our fishing will be half as exciting as your trip.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Nice report. Flyfishjeep, good luck on your trip. Post up a report when you get back. Im gonna try and sneek down to the panhandle late this month or early april and get into the wave of spanish moving back in.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 PM

The line was a bit bruised, but not badly enough to require changing flies. I did have to change flies when the bucktail got shredded. I'm not sure if both were caught on the same fly or not. Never lost a fly to a fish, so line damage was not a problem.

The catching was steady enough to keep excitement at a high level all afternoon. Actually, the fish were nice sized, but none were hogs, and we were too busy to take pictures. Out-fishing two spin fishers was really a nice bonus.