Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM

Default Port St. Joe

Guys,
Port St. Joe next week 3/18-3/20 specs and reds as shallow as possible anybody got any specifics on where and on what. Byron I know you have fished there in the past was that on the fly or spin or both?
Thanks
Patrick
Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 PM

Patrick,

have you been to PSJ before?

do you have a map of the bay?
do you know where the major landmarks are?
like Blacks island, presnells, eagle harbor, shark hole, pompano point?

for reds try pompano point, and eagles harbor..on right going out.
trout go towards blacks island from eagles harbor you want to fish the grass pot-holes on the left of the island or closest to the gulf.

you may have to play with the depth. once you find that depth, most will be at that depth. you will learn what color of water is what depth
light green, dark green ....ect

have caught them on the fly and bait.
fly.... clousers...red/white will catch the most ladyfish, just about any will work. pinfish pattern works great also

bait.... use live shrimp. or gulp shimp(more durable) on poping cork

ladyfish are trash fish that you need a steel leader for but when you catch them, they sure are fun on the fly...and easy to catch a lot of them.

Bradley
Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Thanks Bradley,
I am familier with the bay a little, I have put in at Presnel's before and caught reds at town beach on top water (that is fun) and I love a map and have several of the bay, just ask my wife she doesn't love them as much as I. My buddy and I have the luck of having 3 days to explore I can't wait.
Patrick
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 PM

PatO,

I have only fly fished there. Our best fishing was on the point at Cape San Blas catching redfish. There is plenty of shallow water for wading. It is a beautiful place. But our only really good fishing was with a guide. We've tried it on our own and done fairly well but I can't say we've come close to figuring it out. I would like to spend more time there and try. We have targeted redfish and we have done OK. A lot of the people I have talked to who fish there sucessfully have used spinning tackle. I know a couple of people who fish there regularly with flies and do well. Our experience as far as caught fish has not been great. But, Port St. Joe is a great place to be and one of the most beautiful locations in Florida. We have seen a few tarpon in August. Paula jumped one. Fishing for speckled trout has been slow for us and we like catching them. The grass flats seem perfect for trout. Maybe we have been there at the wrong time.

My plan is to figure this place out. I love it there. We do see a lot of bull sharks.

Byron
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 PM

I didn't see Brad on here. He and his Dad know that bay better than I do.

Byron