Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 AM

The Ross EVO 2 would be nice.. Can someone explain to me the difference between a LA reel and a regular reel loaded with backing? if the line is at the top of a reel how does it metter if it's a fat arbor or backing under the line?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
The Ross EVO 2 would be nice.. Can someone explain to me the difference between a LA reel and a regular reel loaded with backing? if the line is at the top of a reel how does it metter if it's a fat arbor or backing under the line?

Now, there you go throwing logic into the discussion.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2009, 08:09 PM

Bullwinkle,

Good question. A large arbor reel is really nice if you are fighting a big fish that takes your line and backing often throughout the fight. A good example would be tarpon, big bonefish, jacks, salmon or permit. When they are peeling off your backing and your spool is going 100 miles per hour and you have to get it all back in, a large arbor reel is good to have especially if the fish is going to do it to you again and again and you need to get the line back fast. Maybe they are running back at you. You have to get backing and line back from down near the arbor and on some reels that means many turns of the spool.

Also, when big fish pull off your backing, one turn of the spool yeilds very little backing going out down near the arbor if it is small. They say this puts more pressure on the fish unless you adjust your drag.

For trout, I don't think it makes much of a difference at all unless you are fighting some great big fish on light tippet. I wouldn't make a large arbor buying decision when picking a reel for trout. I do have some large arbor reels that I do use for trout though. I made the decision because they were pretty.

Lumberjack,

I have 3 LT's and I love them all. They are what I use for trout. I have one just like yours. Great rod. Thank you for buying it from us. I would probably put a CFO on her. You can't beat a BBS either. I would choose titanium.

Byron
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 PM

if you were to put a orvis reel on a fine green stik it would for sure loose some of the carma from the green might cause loosing the trout of your life. only use orvis on orvis, never on sage or winston. no telling the hex you might create on that fine rod.voodoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 PM

I bought the very same rod from LRO the year before last and Paula and Byron fixed me up with a Tiboor Tailwater reel in the same color of green. It is my dream outfit and when I fish it I think about someday a yet-to-be-born grandchild inheriting the outfit and fishing the Smokies with it. i also use it on the Clinch and holston. I have not seen the Tailwater reel advertised lately and wonder if Tibor still makes it. If not, watch for a used one. I told Paula when I bought the rod and reel I was done buying fly fishing equipment. She told me "don't be so sure". She was right.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Lamson Velocity

Well I ended up putting the new redesigned Lamson Velocity on. Due to running out of white backing Daniel at LRO put Orange on and then a Sharkskin trout taper in blue heron. I must say that I absolutley love everything from rod to reel to line. The line does everything they claim it to do; float higher, mend easier, cast farther. I went with the Lamson due to some western trips I take where I have been taken to the backing a few times by large trout in swift water...and I liked the way it looked Im going to try to post a pic, thanks for all your advise and Thanks Byron for such good Customer Service.

Remember......I'm and idiot

Last edited by Lumber_Jack; 03-23-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 PM

Lumber Jack,

Super set up!!! You wanted a good drag, now you have it. I like the Lamsons.