Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 PM

I have a couple of TFO Finesse rods that I really enjoy (1wt, 4wt, 5wt). I also have a 7wt Professional and a 2wt Signature from TFO. You cannot go wrong with any of the TFO rods. I like the Rio lines as well, and would definitely recommend them (RIO Classic and RIO Selective Trout). I think most are mine are in the camo too.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM

I just signed up for the beginning fly fishing class Day 1 on March 14. The Day 2 "on stream" classes all seem to be full. Hopefully the first class will give me the foundation I need to be successful. I went out and picked up a tie fast yesterday, and it definitely made the knots easier to tie. Are there any other gadgets that I am missing out on?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Mocs,

You are going to love the class. As for gadgets there are a million of them. I started off with way to many and have cut back alot. I keep a couple of things on a lanyard like nippers and forceps and everything else in my pockets.

Have fun in the class.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 AM

Sounds like you've already got plenty of good advice on rods...I think taking a class or two is a great idea to find out which rod to buy and to get a few pointers to get you started. After that I would highly recommend reading a couple books. One of the books from L.L. Bean helped me a great deal when I started out.

Prepare yourself though, soon you'll start buying lots of gadgets...
And then more gadgets...
And more books...
And more flies...
And then you'll start tying your own flies...
And it doesn't really stop...

Welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM

I don't doubt any of that Flynut except for the fly tying part. I just don't see myself having either the patience or the steady hand for that.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I don't doubt any of that Flynut except for the fly tying part. I just don't see myself having either the patience or the steady hand for that.

I remember saying somethign to that effect a couple years ago. Now, I have enough feathers to cloth several chickens and enough hair to make my own fur coat. Several hundred flies later, I fianlly had to admit to the addiction.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2009, 08:47 AM

a little over your price range.. but that is a very nice reel. The perfect rod for the park imho is the Orvis Superfine 7' for a 4wt.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Update

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!

I ended up with a TFO Professional 8'-6" 5wt, Lamson Radius 1.5, and SA Mastery Trout Taper Line. They recommended I go with a 5wt so I could also fish some stillwater, and local tailwaters (Hiwassee). They also said, that after I get hooked on flyfishing, I could (and would) pick up more rods.

BTW: The class was great and I am signed up to take part two (the on stream part) in a few weeks. I have practiced casting and knots every day since the class and can already tell a diffrence.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 PM

Mocs, sounds like you are well on your way. Join the club ! Be warned
this fly fishing becomes a passion. I was 40 years old when I started,
and I regret missin' those first 40 years. Gotta know, have you started looking
at vises yet ? You will !
Enjoy and God Bless !!!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 PM

Nope, I haven't looked at vices yet, but I have definitely spent plenty of money in my head. LRO may have a record year!.

I am doing a five day backpacking trip from Winding Stair Gap (US64) to Fontana Dam starting on Saturday, and I am meeting some other people in my group at Smokemont Campground on Friday, so I thought I may head up there early and try fishing the park for a bit. Probably somewhere easy to get to like Metcalf Bottoms.

LRO had to cancel Day 2 of the class becouse of high water, so I am hoping to reschedule soon. If not, I guess I will learn by trial and error.