Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Default Anyone fished the Hiwassee ?

I haven't noticed any reports on fishing here lately. Usually I've been up by now but have been staying busy chasing crappie on the lake here. I had decided to try this weekend, but with this weather moving in I don't think I will. Has anyone been up and noticed any hatches yet ? I hope some of those browns have gotten a little bigger there.

mstone
Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 PM

I've been working on other rivers mostly this spring, but I've heard reports from the other guides of march browns and hendricksons on the upper river. The stones have about petered out. Olives are hatching well on falling water after the pulse.

Hope this helps when you get a chance to get out.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM

I appreciate the info. I hope to get up there this weekend.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM

1. I went up a few weeks ago and had a Large time. I caught mine, (5 bows) in one hour, on a #16 BHPT and a #14 BH Tellico just under the swinging bridge. Also, when they turned on one generator, the feast began. My buddy caught about 8 during this 45 minute pulse. Hatches where modest. I guess the point of this post is to keep a few nymphs on hand as well as your dry's. We had a lot of fun!

2. On a related note, It was sad to see the fly shop in Reliance with a for sale sign in the window. It appears to be shut down. I hope i'm wrong. It had been last summer sense the last visit. I wish Jerry and his family all the best. They're good people.

Best of luck and as always, stay safe during the generation periods. Make sure you have a quick way out if you get in trouble.