Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 PM

Default At Hazel on Monday

Thanks to everyone for the advice and info. Starting hike on Sunday a.m. and staying at 75 and then at 84. Hope to post a story or two late next week, along with a photo of my (and my daughter's) first trout.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:46 AM

That sounds like a great trip. Be sure to check out High Rocks and please post a link to your pics, I would love to see them.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Last minute advice

Had over an inch of rain in the past few days, and more to come. Be sure you have some streamers in your fly box. Water will still be high and might be a little off color. And it should go without saying - be careful.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 AM

Also I forgot to mention that the bridge at Proctor (CS#86; that goes over Hazel Creek) has washed out so please take that into consideration.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 AM

Default Washed out bridge -- perfect

Well, we'll have to cross that nonexistant bridge when we get to it. Thanks for the info. I'll get to that spot on tuesday, so, with my luck on the timing of our trip, there's plenty of time for 2-3 inches more of rain between now and then. Leaving in a couple of hours. Thanks to all who have provided advice and info. I'll make sure and post something when we return.

Jim (and Courtney)
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Default Made it back alive

Welcome Friends,

I do not have a pic of a first trout, but it was quite and experience. The first point that should be kept in mind is that if you want to fish the Hazel, attack it from the south and do not plan a trip that brings you in after a two day trip from the east. From the intersection of Bear Creek Trail and Forney Creek Trail, up over High Rocks and down Cold Spring Gap Trail, is a constant and steady uphill to High Rocks and a long and difficult, ankle and knee breaking downhill to the Hazel. One of the toughest days that I have done. The pre-trip rain made the trails challenging, especially when the trails became small streams or bog-like mud. The pics are on my daughter's camera and I do not have them to post here, but the Forney and Hazel were up and roaring. The thigh/belt-deep crossing of the Hazel just before getting to #83 was downright scary. One of those things that when you get done you think, "OMG, what did I just do?" So, due to the hiking delays, the trip became a sole hike/camp trip and did not involve fishing. Now the good parts: the area is beautiful, we saw only three people the entire time, had a doe run accross the trail, daughter walked right over a little (harmless) snake, the food was good and the stars are out by the billions (on one night), there was still ice/snow up at High Rocks, and it was a trip that will be looked back on with smiles (once our muscles loosen up again). Thanks to those who provided info to us before the trip. Now that I have seen the Hazel, I really look forward to going back.