Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM

Default Gear review: Fishpond arroyo chest pack

I was looking for a small chest pack to carry my fishing gear while chasing brookies in small waters. After a lot of searching I decided on the arroyo by fishpond.

Here is LSO's description:

This minimalist chest/lumbar pack is perfect when a single fly box isn't enough, but more than two is just too much. Wear as a chest, waist, or sling bag for any local creek or stream.
The Arroyo Chestpack features a low profile design with a lightweight, waterproof and breathable fabric. The main storage compartment has three interior pockets. Of course it has the signature, zip down fly bench with replaceable foam and the patented molded pocket design. Tarpaulin tabs and elastic loops make for easy accessory attachment. There is also attachment points for tools and hemostats. The large-padded next strap is removable and the waist belt can be tucked away.

Volume: 150 cu in.
Dimensions: 7" x 9" x 4"
Colors are Barnwood, Cottonwood or Deepwater Blue

After receiving the arroyo, I was surprised at how small it is. I read the dimensions, but the pack just seems smaller than what it is. This is a good thing. It holds all the gear I carry. Two fly boxes, a thermometer, spare leaders, 3 spools of tippet, hemostats, floatant, small pliers, a knot tying tool, and nippers, all with a litttle room to spare. The pack has interior pockets and loops that make it easy to organize all this stuff. There are also attatchment points on the outside that make it easy to add zingers. I like this feature, no more small needle holes.

Its very lightweight, and comfortable to wear. I have worn it around my waist, chestpack style, and as a sling bag. I had to contact fishpond to get a longer strap to wear it over my shoulder, but at $5.00 plus shipping, I didn't mind too much. I also think I am going to be able to rig it so that I can attatch it to the shoulder straps on my back pack. This makes the arroyo very versatile.

There are a couple other small features I like. One is the flat pocket on the back that hides the straps when your not using them. Another is the loops that keep your strap slack from hanging down. Small things like this can annoy me while fishing. I won't have to worry about them with the arroyo.

All in all, I am very happy with the arroyo. Its very well built, and seems to be fairly waterproof too. I reccomend it to anyone who is looking for a pack this size.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 PM

I try not to like any of my Fishpond products so i won't buy another one If they would make a camera backpack, i'd just have to have it.

Grumpy
Old 04-04-2009, 02:27 AM

Thanks for the review. I have been seriously considering a chestpack recently, and after reading your review and checking out what fishpond has on their website, I think the Arroyo fits my needs almost to a T. I do wonder though, after such a glowing review, is there anything that you don't like about it? Stuff that you only found out after using it a few times I just wonder...because it really does look like a great buy...
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Honestly, not yet. I really like it. I have tried a few packs, and this is by far my favorite.