Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM

Default Best Flyrod Action for a Beginner

I'm taking three teenagers to Colorado this Summer for a Backpacking/Fishing trip. Two of them don't have any gear and will be starting from ground zero, in that they have never even cast a flyrod before. I will have my work cut out for me, getting them up to speed enough so that I can start fishing by the mid point of the trip.

My question is this: For those of you that have taught people to flyfish, what action of rod do you prefer to teach with? What action is the easiest to learn with?

I'm leaning toward Med-fast. I have a spare TFO Pro (med-fast) that I could loan to one of the boys for the trip, but I will still need to purchase another rod. As much as I like TFO, I was leaning toward a St. Croix because its manufactured in the US and the warranty is pretty good (not as good as TFO, but close, $50 v $25 for a no-fault repair, from what I can tell). Unfortunately, the St Croix Imperial is listed on their website as Fast action, so I'm not sure that will work.

Here are the options that I can choose from:
1) Purchase another TFO Pro,
2) Purchase an Imperial and hope that one of the boys can adapt to the Fast action, or
3) Purchase an Avid for myself and loan out the TFO Pro that I would have fished with...

Thoughts/opinions?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-14-2009, 01:42 PM

I usually like to put a medium action rod in the hands of a beginner because I feel that the person learnnig can see and feel the rod load better than a fast or a medium-fast. If you were going to buy a rod for yourself though and prefer a medium-fast rod, then just over line it a little so the person learning can get the same feeling of how to cast. You could do the same thing with the fast action rod. Some people don't have a problem learning on the stiffer rods so it is all a crap shoot. I just prefer more of a bend to enhance the feel and it also lets the rod do the work instead of the caster.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Pete, sounds like a good excuse to buy MORE gear! Tight Lines. TDS
Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM

Pete,

With those options, I say put a TFO in the hands of both the boys, and get yourself a new rod. I also agree with you that the medium-fast action is the best place to start. It is a happy middle ground. It may turn out that one would like it a little slower and one a little faster, in the middle doesn't hurt either one too bad. Have a great trip and be sure to report afterwards.

Mike
Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 PM

I tend to steer beginners towards a med-med fast, it's an old school thing

Grumpy
Old 04-14-2009, 04:27 PM

As far as helping them "feel" the cast, I like a slower rod. A medium action would be a good compromise... Of course, it really depends on what type of water the rod will be used for. I don't really like chunking heavy nymph rigs with my slow Superfine rod but for smaller streams and dries, slow rod all the way...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Pete --

WHat weights/lengths are you considering? I might be able to help you out here.

Gerry
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM

if they can sling water off a paint brush forward and back you can get them casting quick they will ajust to the action of the rod ,young casters tend to work fast instead slow
Old 04-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
Pete --

WHat weights/lengths are you considering? I might be able to help you out here.

Gerry
I'm really looking for an all-around mountain flyrod for them (I'm also thinking about giving the flyrods to them, to keep). The streams we fish in Colorado are about the size of LR above Elkmont (with less vegetation). My thought was a 3 or 4wt - 8'6" to 9'0".

The fish are generally larger than here in the Park (they average about 12"), but usually are less than 16" so a 3wt would work.

After talking to Paula and Daniel today, I think I'm leaning toward option 2 or 3. Option 2: buy an Imperial (and overline it to slow it down[thanks gmreeves]) or Option 3: give him my TFO and buy myself an Avid....

Option 3 would be a win-win

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."