Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Opppppps!!!

And I can never forget the sick look on my buddy's face when he looked at his $$$$ Sage rod after we heard that funny little "snick!" His 2pc was now a 3pc and he hadn't done a thing except cast it!

Lucky he had another rod in the boat...........
Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiknstring View Post
There are a lot of misconceptions of bamboo fly rods. People are often surprised at what they learn about bamboo once they get into it. Most of what they think they knew ends up being wrong.

I agree with you all the way - listening to the uninitiated discuss bamboo rods is a lot like listening to a bunch of twelve-year-old boys discussing women. They're long on theory and very short on experience.

BUT having said that - there's enough competition for bamboo rods as it is. Maybe we should let them keep their fallacious opinions. That'll leave more classic bamboo rods for the rest of us.

Question: Where did this habit of referring to "boo" rods come from? I mean, you never hear anyone talking about "phite" rods do you? Old fashioned? You bet! That's probably why I love bamboo rods.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM

I will take a good bamboo rod any day over graphite. I have also seen Bill Oyster do the same test as Mike Clark on bamboo rods. Another thing with boo is that the builder puts in hours of time to build an extention of his art. Something that will live on well past his mortal years. As far as price goes, graphite has become as expensive as cane for quality work. Or you can save a few bucks and have some korean kid build you a rod out of piles of graphite and paint some famous name on it, then sell it for quality rod building. I have all three types of rods; graphite, fiberglass and bamboo. Not only do I prefer the bamboo but just the overall appearence of the rod is beautiful. I have brod graphite but never cane.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
I will take a good bamboo rod any day over graphite... Another thing with boo is that the builder puts in hours of time to build an extention of his art.

I would have to agree FlyRed, there's more sense of what I epitomize as "the true fishing experience" by using a crafted bamboo vs a mass-produced fg or graphite. Perhaps it evokes more of an emotional experience for me, as I use the bamboo rod my father built and used when I was a little girl in Montana....but I just can't see myself having such a strong connection with a fg rod. Everytime I use it, I think of memories I had of my father.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks Oopsurflyisopen. And welcome to the south and the board. It must be something with us capricorns that appreciates that kind of dedication to an art.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Thanks Oopsurflyisopen. And welcome to the south and the board. It must be something with us capricorns that appreciates that kind of dedication to an art.
Well heck, I didn't even realize you are in Gadsden too. I may have to get with you about the area at some point. Bailey and I are packing now to head to lake Guntersville for the weekend.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM

Good deal. oopsyrflyisopen. Shoot me an email at mcredfish38@yahoo.com and I can give you info on our local fly club. I have a friend at guntersville this weekend with his family fly fishing. You can also contact me on face book.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 PM

1)bamboo is too expensive(the orvis helois is 700 plus dollarsthat is pretty expensive grahite))
Really depends on what you buy, yep a Winston boo is $2700 ( but you keep it a few years and get most of your money back. Keep the Helios for a couple of years and it has been replaced with new technology and you are lucky to get half of it back)

2)they are not much in windy conditions,the fast action graphites are much better when weather is a problem( I agree)
Really depends on the taper and configuration, try a quad in an 8' 5 wt for extra power and sensativity.

3)they are heavy compared to the newer grapites(true,but an ounce or two does not bother me)
Yep they are heavier, but they don't break as easily as the thin walled graphites do.

4)bamboo is structurally weak compared to graphite,bamboo is easily stressed to the point of splitting every time you get a larger fish on the line(sorry ,I did not buy any of that--a bamboo rod's strength lies in the in the strands of the plant itself,when bamboo is condoned by a rod builder as acceptable for rod building,then the rodbuilder places his reputation on that rod to perform as well as any other rod in it's class.
Hmm... have no idea where that came from but bamboo is considerably stronger and more durable than graphites or plastics. There are significan't numbers of old bamboo rods out there that are 50 or more years old that are still bringing fish to hand.

5)their parabolic action hinders casting because their rod tip is not stable,it flutters at the end of a cast,making the cast lose energy (I do not know what Greg was talking about---maybe you can help)
some rods do have a parabolic action, some don't. that is determined by the taper the rodmaker built the rod to. Ask him if he ever cast an Edwards Quad? A Dickerson 8014?

6)You can buy yourself a top graphite rod immediately---no waiting 6 months(that is right----but--the wait is half the fun of it)
Yep, you sure can and it will be just exactly like all of the other rods of that manufacturer and that model. You wait 6 months (or more) for a piece of grass, usually built to your specs, personalized, and it has the character and history of nearly 150 years of rodmaking built into it. and from what is going on in the graphite flyrod industry right now, they are moving with the technology, and the new stuff of today will be obsolete in another year or so. Just a guess, but at the rate prices are increasing on the new technology, they will be at a thousand in another couple of years.

But the bottom line is, are YOU happy with it, if you are that is all that matters. I have boo and I have tupperware and few old pieces of glass laying around. When I fish with the guys or with the kids, I take what makes me happy and makes me feel good that day.

(Hey Grumpy, I bet we can find that 290!!)
Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM

1. You can find a lot of makers that will build a rod for less than $700.
2. Wind isn't an issue if the taper is right for it.
3. Yes they are heavier. Can't do anything about that but quit complaining and work out.
4. Bamboo being weaker than graphite is about the most rediculous thing I have ever heard.
5. Parabolic actions are based on the tapers. If you don't want a parabolic action, don't have a rod built with a parabolic taper.
6. There are many places where you can pick up a bamboo rod with no wait. It won't be built to order but there are a lot of builders that do consignment with fly shops and are on the racks.

I don't push graphite, fiberglass, or bamboo on anyone because everybody can make there own choice of what they prefer and what they think is best suited for there needs. To each his own. Just wanted to clarify that I am not the Greg making the statements about the superiority of graphite.

I like cane.

Greg
Old 04-20-2009, 02:55 PM

I second everything that GMREEVES says. Once you go to fully bamboo you don't go back. Could some people have "wood" issues?