Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-18-2009, 11:44 PM

Default Road Prong report 4/16

Hey all,

I fished Road Prong the other day from about 11 am to 3 pm, above the 4th bridge, fishing started a bit slow, but then picked up by early afternoon, some size 10-12 brownish mayflies came off, figured they might still be Quill Gordons with the higher elevation, ended up catching around 8 Brookies, nothing beyond 6.5 inches, but lovely all the same; one 6" male had some of the most vibrant coloration I've seen on one of these natives, a living jewel. I used a size 12 rusty parachute pattern of my own creation, on 5X. The water was a bit chilly, couldn't have been more than 50 degrees, but the weather was brilliant, and at least some of the fish didn't seem to mind.

Something about Road Prong draws me back to this stream every time I visit the Park, the multicolored stones, clear plunging cascades, the brilliant Brook trout--one of the special waters that resounds in me, that seems to embody what is best about this wonderful place called the Smokies.

Tight lines, Iain
Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Westslope,

Thanks for the report. Good to know that things are getting active in the higher-higher elevations. Still looking forward to my first brookie of the year - they are jewels, indeed.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 AM

We thought about hitting Road Prong the other day; it's my oldest's favorite...but, we just didn't have the time, this time. Again - I wouldn't hesitate going for the specs right now - I think, in fact, that it's the best bet, when the water temps are marginal. I've caught brookies on dries with the water temps as low as the mid 40s, when the bows and browns wouldn't even think of looking up.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 PM

Interesting observation about the brookies, ijsouth, where you've found they rise to dries in colder water temps than bows and browns--maybe they are more adaptable in this regard in the Smokies, having evolved here?

They definitely came up with the sun when I was there, and seemed to prefer the mayflies over other insects hatching. I did take several photos of the aforementioned 6" male brookie, belly brilliant red-orange edged with black; the colors of these little natives never cease to amaze me. I'll try to develop these pics soon, and post a good shot or two here.

Best wishes to all, Iain