Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 PM

Default Peach Orchard

Quick question:
Is it worthwhile to float from Miller's Island to Peach Orchard? Are there any riffles/runs in this water, or is it long, featureless stuff? I plan on going in the canoe, and want to get out and wade.
Thanks again-
Jamie
Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Default take scuba gear

After Massengill Bridge it's too deep IMO. If your slinging shad raps or sinking lines great, but if you want to get out of your canoe, wear scuba gear.

This of course pertains to from Miller's Island put in UNTIL the Peach Orchard access

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 04-25-2009 at 06:09 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 AM

It is worth the drift and the logistics are easy for canoe pickup.

However, it does get deeper below Massengill Bridge. There are a few steep shoals past the I-75 Bridge, but - are tricky wading if you do not know them.

If you can; you should canoe up from Peach Orchard to the 3 shoals below the bend and fish them early in the AM right before the sun comes up. Wear a headlamp so you do not get run over in case other boats are there. Those three shoals will keep you busy if the water is down for wading. I have caught some very decent fish out of them.

Below Peach Orchard is a different story. Excellent fishing, but - VERY Treacherous coming back up in most boats. A canoe would be fine as long as the current was slow and no wind. Otherwise, you better be a strong paddler.

Your best trip would be Peach Orchard to the Clinton Bridge. Probably 3-4 hour float in a canoe and excellent fishing. One semi-dangerous shoal about half-way you should be aware of...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Your best trip would be Peach Orchard to the Clinton Bridge. Probably 3-4 hour float in a canoe and excellent fishing. One semi-dangerous shoal about half-way you should be aware of...
3-4 hours might be a stretch, unless your talking about Olympic Class paddlers, no wind, and no fishing.

I once went from Millers to PO in 22 minutes in a drifter (A fair weather fishermen tipped me very well to get him out of the rain shower).

On my biggest feat of drift boat speeding, I took a drifter from the Stairsteps on the HI to the Reliance ramp in 17 minutes. Now that's humping.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
3-4 hours might be a stretch, unless your talking about Olympic Class paddlers, no wind, and no fishing.
You are probably more accurate with your assumption. I did not take in consideration of fishing and any stops for wading. However, with one generator; this is very doable if it is the intent to shorten your trip...

Old 04-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses guys. I posted this late Friday night. By the time Saturday fishing time rolled around I hadn't heard back from anyone yet. I took a gamble, went and floated this section. Caught a few on a slumbuster. Not very conducive water to wade in. I did waste my friend's day for them by bringing them on a goose chase, however!!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 AM

Earl...,
No day is ever wasted - just earned in my opinion! I am sure they were glad you were considerate enough to bring them along...

Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 AM

We were. At least we got to explore some new water. Jamie, I caught 1 1/2 pound crappie and about a pound shellcracker on Sunday afternoon!