Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Default Clinch Report 4/26

Hit the Clinch at Coldwater with a couple buddies yesterday. Did OK, not great. Each of us caught a few over a couple of hours, all rainbow stockers. Dark woolly-buggers with some flash did the best (although I hate chucking woolly-buggers). Beautiful day. Nothing rising. No signs of sulfurs. Yet.

Still don't understand why folks in boats insist on paddling right to where people are wading and dropping a line right in front of them.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
Hit the Clinch at Coldwater with a couple buddies yesterday. Did OK, not great. Each of us caught a few over a couple of hours, all rainbow stockers. Dark woolly-buggers with some flash did the best (although I hate chucking woolly-buggers). Beautiful day. Nothing rising. No signs of sulfurs. Yet.

Still don't understand why folks in boats insist on paddling right to where people are wading and dropping a line right in front of them.
Weird to hear CW didn't fish better, and I feel your pain on some of the inconsiderate boaters. I understand fully there are many places where people have no choice but to come through your water, but by golly you better not cast if you are coming through me.

I usually will try to be fairly polite, it is hard many times, but I usually try to get them to go behind me if possible. Many times they smart off, and it gets ugly quick.

Sulfurs should start showing in the next 2 weeks if it is going to happen at all. Are there nymphs in the grass?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 AM

I fished CWF on Saturday morning. We arrived about 7:30AM and had our first fish soon after we entered the water; fished in the lower runs. We fished #16 and #18 BHPT's, caught several slot limit fish. Hooked, faught, and lost a monster brown; would not fit in the net!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc View Post

Well, I hope I was not one of them. I was drifting in a blue and black boat. If so, we always try and take the aft flank of where a fisherman or others are fishing if it is available. If not; we try and quietly-swiftly go through with minimal disturbance if possible and a cordial wave.

We have to remember that the river is for all to enjoy and there are some people that are not as courteous or that for some reason do not think of fishermen code of conduct Oh well, life goes on...I always expect this on the weekends anyway. That way I do not let myself get frustrated over issues that will only bring me down on a beautiful day on the river.

Anyway, the fish re-settle quickly on the Clinch...

I have been trying to take the approach of: that it is best to meet a new friend than to earn a new enemy!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Wasn't you Madison. Most of the boaters always very considerate; I tend to stew over the ones who aren't. Nonetheless I always just tip my hat, wish them good luck, and cast 180 degrees away. Life's too short and the water's too pretty to argue.

Sounds like you had a great fish, Lar.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 PM

I used to be one of those that if anyone, and I mean anyone floated through me I got furious. However, that was before I started guiding and floating rivers all the time, then I realized how many times there is no other option then to run right over someone. It is just a bad deal, but there is no other option.

As long as the folks who float through me do not cast withing my space, and do not hit me with the boat I am now very courteous and usually pleasant.

I did hear of some horrible river etiquette on the Holston this past weekend, by a local guide. Surprising as this guide is usually pretty courteous.