Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Back from Elkmont

We took the family up for a weekend of camping at Elkmont and a great time was had by all. It was crowded and flyfishermen were everywhere. I met some very nice folks.. Bill Boyd Jr. and Wendy... I didn't catch her last name. They showed me all the flies they tie and they are very skilled. I even got acouple from them. The fishing was good to alittle above average. I think I managed 20-25 fish but, I wasn't able to really get after it since I could only manage an hour here and there. The water temp was 58 on saturday but I didn't see any rising action going on. I fished a large stonefly nymph pattern and a BHPT after having dozens of stoneflys cover us up at dark the first night. I caught 2 browns one in the 11 inch range and lost acouple good browns as well. One of the high lights of the trip for me was watching my fiance flyfish. I took her below the bridge to "just touch up on her casting". I told her not to get discouraged if she didn't catch any fish here because it usually gets hammered. When she got her roll casting down and l walked up stream. When I turned around she had one on...... 7 fish later I told her it was time to move up to some swifter water... where she caught 2 more one being a nice 10 inch bow. She left Elkmont heading to LRO to pick up some flies and a pair of forceps. She was having trouble getting the hooks out. She returned with a sack full of goodies. I do believe she's hooked. I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to down load them on her computer.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM

That's good stuff man...always glad to hear about more people getting involved in the sport and that's really cool that your fiancee is getting into the sport... You might try pinching the barbs on her flies at least for awhile if you aren't already. I still pinch mine 'cause I've always had a hard time getting them out. I dislike forcing them too much and barbless helps a lot...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 PM

I second pinching the barbs down. They come out of me easier that way too. Don't ask how I know about that.

Great fishing report. Wish my wife liked to fish. At least she doesn't mind me going and my 14 yr old son, Daniel, likes to fly fish so that's good.

Jeff