Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Default the clinch is on fire!

Myself ,Flat-fly-n and a friend of his hit the clinch today. Flat took us to a secret spot,had to wear the balck hood again but it was worth it. I brought 31 to hand that ran the whole range of size from small to in the slot. Flat had 47 to hand and Clark had 20 or more. Not bad for a little over 4 hours fishing.I am not sure of the fly we used,Flat said "here tie this on and then hold on". I tried to keep the battered fly but Flat made me cut it off and give it back to him.Then there was the drive back wearing the balck hood till he said "ok it can come off now" and we were half way home. He promised that in a few weeks the sulfers will start popping off and it will get even better.Hard to belive it could get any better than today. This was a good warm up for Montana in July.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

B*****D!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 AM

Default Sulphurs duns not far behind

A good day with indeed many fish in a short time. It was pretty silly at times with fish on every cast. I only saw one dun at about 3PM, with swallows showing up like fighter pilots around 3:30 looking for the same hatch.

They are lying in behind the shoals preparing for the sulphurs. #14 Flashbacks(E. invaria are first to show, & they are larger than E. dorthea), and 16ft leaders for me (Drag Line was using his HOMEMADE furled leaders).

PS. That new Seagar flouro that I got at LRO is THE BEST tippet material I have used in 29 years of flyfishing. I used 6 and 5x pieces yesterday on my leader. The only fish I broke off was at the 3x portion of the leader.

PSS. Was going to invite ChemE Angler, but couldn't find a way to get in contact even through his blog.

sky - sunny
Baro. pressure- steady
Farmer's Almanac - bad day (so much for that)
feet - sore
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
PS. That new Seagar flouro that I got at LRO is THE BEST tippet material I have used in 29 years of flyfishing.
For $20+ a spool it should come with a "you will catch fish on every cast or your money back guarantee."
Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 AM

Sounds like you guys had an awesome day!

Flat - I've been using seaguar flouro since 2 years ago when I heard a guide singing its praises out in Colorado. I landed numerous fish over 20" on the 7x on that trip and never looked back. It's expensive stuff, but I have alot of faith in it.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM

I might have to give it a try this summer.

You coming to MT in July Flat? You are still welcome to come out with us.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:16 PM

I know where you all were fishing....
Old 04-28-2009, 04:37 PM

Haven't been in Tennessee long enough to have any 'secret spots' but the fishing was incredible yesterday. A buddy and I fished morning 'til generation and caught a boat load... I lost count after twenty. A couple big 'bows, 15" or so.

I haven't fished tailwaters before and am curious about something. Some holes will produce for a long time; are these just dumb stockers swimming around? I can sit a hole much longer than I should be able to and still catch fish? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM

[quote=Flat Fly n;66396]A good day with indeed many fish in a short time. It was pretty silly at times with fish on every cast. I only saw one dun at about 3PM, with swallows showing up like fighter pilots around 3:30 looking for the same hatch.

They are lying in behind the shoals preparing for the sulphurs. #14 Flashbacks(E. invaria are first to show, & they are larger than E. dorthea), and 16ft leaders for me (Drag Line was using his HOMEMADE furled leaders).

PS. That new Seagar flouro that I got at LRO is THE BEST tippet material I have used in 29 years of flyfishing. I used 6 and 5x pieces yesterday on my leader. The only fish I broke off was at the 3x portion of the leader.

PSS. Was going to invite ChemE Angler, but couldn't find a way to get in contact even through his blog.
/quote]

Hey Flat,
Thanks for the consideration, but I couldn't have gone anyway. I am in SC on a family vacation. Maybe next time. My email is knxtravis80 at gmail.com. It is kind of a round-a-bout method to finding it on the blog. You have to go to my profile, and then go to contact info.

Glad you had a good day. I am eagerly awaiting the Sulfur hatch, especially after how excellent it was last year. Also, I have been debating on getting some of that Seaguar fluoro, and you may have helped me make up my mind.

Keep me in mind for next time.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 PM

Default Yeah, yeah

Waterwolf,
And you know that I know you probably weren't at work yesterday, but out trout/crappie/striper/walleye fishing, turkey hunting, frog gigging, or something other than working....soooo I got your back IF you've got mine!!!! HA HA!

Seriously, it's a good time to tie on a PTN from the top of Miller's Island to 61 Bridge. Anything else for the next 6 weeks in that area is probably a waste of time. They will be looking for Big Macs instead of french fries to eat(mayflies vs midges), and will be looking in cuts and shoals just like a teenager stalking a refrigerator! I still fish more public than private access but this time of year on the Clinch is special. I even bought a FishCat to get my big butt down the river even further, down around Donny's place and those shoals.
I don't think trout bite immediately again after they have been caught. So once a hole starts slowing down, I move on. A river is like a lake, it's all about structure, so yes some holes consistently produce, while other areas are a waste of time.

UofMontan,
Thank you for the gracious offer. I don't think the airline industry is ready for me and Dragline to travel together yet. My Mom and my father-in-law have been pretty sick as of late so I am sticking close to home this summer for my fishing. I might slip away to SC for some reds later on, but that's only 6 hours away. Maybe next summer if Dragline doesn't get banned from MT this summer.

Re: Seagaur Yes it is expensive but to me I can go a whole day and not change out a bunch of tippet that broke, and I KNOW how to tie knots. It's worth it.