Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Default Caney fork Overnight float trip

Some of the guys at work are wanting to do an overnight float trip on the Caney. Is there any places where you are allowed to pull over and camp? I have stayed several time at Long Branch, but they are wanting to Kayak and camp. Can you camp at the rest stop? and how far of a float is it to the rest stop?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 PM

Default Camping the Caney

It is around 6 miles to the rest stop and no, I wouldn't camp there. DOT will make you leave for sure, and that could be tough if you have already set up camp, and it's already dark. All of the land on the Caney is privately owned and finding a spot to camp could be a real pain. With water running like it is now, it would be very wise to find some high ground to camp on if you can find a landowner that is willing to let you do that. Even some of the islands are posted land now so be careful out there. It isn't worth the trouble.

Here is a USACE Cany map and with a little imagination and some county maps, you might be able to find out who owns one of the islands and call them to get permission to camp there.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/cen...Caney_Fork.pdf
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 PM

Why sleep

You have that tripped planned backwards my friend! The piggies come out at night! "WHISTLING A JINGLE"

What ever happened to your son, he was soo enthrawlled with this site?

~Brett
Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Gaintfish has found Face book, which has teenage girls as his friends. A bunch of older guys and gals that talk about fish, or teen age girls. If you was 17 where would you be? I made him make me a friend so I could see his home page or wall or what ever it is called. So far pretty tame.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM

I agree fisherfly The hogs come out at night. Dont let that secert out though. It really sounds like there are a lot of people against fish at night there. Dont understand. If you are wanting to catch a fish of a life time that is one way to do it.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Gaintfish has found Face book, which has teenage girls as his friends. A bunch of older guys and gals that talk about fish, or teen age girls. If you was 17 where would you be? I made him make me a friend so I could see his home page or wall or what ever it is called. So far pretty tame.
I'm 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob GRiggs View Post
I agree fisherfly The hogs come out at night. Dont let that secert out though. It really sounds like there are a lot of people against fish at night there. Dont understand. If you are wanting to catch a fish of a life time that is one way to do it.
I'd love to fish at night, but don't understand how it's possible without shining light on the river.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM

I only fish water that I am used to 1st of all. I do wear a head lamp but I try not to keep it on all the time. I NEVER go by myself and this is going to make some people mad but I use a #10 pistol pete. That thing works great at night! I fish with some guys who keep there head lamps on the whole time and they catch fish. When I was coming out to go fishing at N. Mills someone wrote a post that made me really think. They said the snakes would be bad. Never had thought about that because thats really not a problem here. Mountain lions are the problem. But I have never seen one so maybe they are not the problem.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob GRiggs View Post
I only fish water that I am used to 1st of all. I do wear a head lamp but I try not to keep it on all the time. I NEVER go by myself and this is going to make some people mad but I use a #10 pistol pete. That thing works great at night! I fish with some guys who keep there head lamps on the whole time and they catch fish. When I was coming out to go fishing at N. Mills someone wrote a post that made me really think. They said the snakes would be bad. Never had thought about that because thats really not a problem here. Mountain lions are the problem. But I have never seen one so maybe they are not the problem.
That was me. I fish Nice Mills all the time, they just stocked it but it's an absolute ZOO. Full of hispanics with cast nets, and bobbers hanging off every possible limb. I had some kind of snake swim between my legs, I freaked out and moved away, and I guess he thought I was a log because he looked behind at me and swam away SO fast. I'd say I see a snake 1 in 3 trips I make, some with multiple snakes per trip.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Camp at Betty's Island if the release schedule will allow it. Watch out for steaming piles from other fisherman.