Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 PM

I have always wondered, what qualifies a person to be a licensed guide in TN and NC. I know from fishing out West, most licensed guides have been through a training course or guide school before being licensed.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 AM

Default kytroutman

As far as tailwater guiding is concerned..having a boat and knowing how to row it, is about all it takes. However, as some have mentioned, multi-tasking and putting you clients on fish, teaching (while not catching), and the lesser of all three entertaining is what it takes to be a good guide. Being insured is a definite plus but you'd be amazed at how it isn't required!

GSMNP guiding however is a different ball game. The NPS has a given amt. of guides they'll allow permits too. Everything must be insured, you must pay for the annual permit, as well as stick to certain stipulations and regulations. Past that you would have to ask someone about guiding in the park.

As for the out of state guiding licenses. AMEN!

~Brett
Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 AM

the latest twrc meeting in Nashville ,this issue was brought forward, by a commission member from east tn. ,other commissioner was surprised that guiding in tn. was that big.but twra was worried about implementation.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:09 AM

I agree to them needing to be have a guide permit. What really ticks me off is that you fish the rivers, and never see a game warden. I keep records of when I fish. Since last october have been on the two rivers 30 times and not once checked for a license. And on the holston with the slot limit it seems like every time I go up there I see people with fish inside the limit on stringers. TWRA needs to start checking rather than riding the roads like you see most of them doing not all but most.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoshie View Post
I agree to them needing to be have a guide permit. What really ticks me off is that you fish the rivers, and never see a game warden. I keep records of when I fish. Since last october have been on the two rivers 30 times and not once checked for a license. And on the holston with the slot limit it seems like every time I go up there I see people with fish inside the limit on stringers. TWRA needs to start checking rather than riding the roads like you see most of them doing not all but most.
I can't argue with that, regs don't mean a thing w/o enforcement. There aren't enough officers to begin with & the lack of reresentation brings the worst out in some folks.
An example, take a city that is known for it's "SPEED TRAPS" folks are pretty cautious through tose, every now & then you get someone that dosen't know & they get their butt busted. If we had that kind of fear on the river

Grumpy

Grumpy
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. I wish that the wardens would check our licenses and catches. On the SoHo, we were not checked even once. And with the slot limit, I believe that they should be checking. Unfortunately, there are scum bags out there that don't care about the fish, the river, or limits. The wardens should get these people off of the river.

In other states, I have been checked on a regular basis, and I'm glad for that. Alot of times, I've gotten some good tips from the wardens, on where to go and what flies to use. Plus, I think that it gives them good information that they can take back and use to help manage the fishery. IMHO