Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Troutfest

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews
Default Troutfest 2009 Photo Essay

Hey guys -

I thought the people here would probably like to see this post more than anyone else. I'm going to leave it just like it is on my board.

Best,
Zach

Hey guys -

Just returned from Troutfest in Townsend, Tennessee. There's a lot going on this year in the Smokies; it's the 75th Anniversary of the Park, the festival was bigger than ever, the Parks Service has some very neat things going on in terms of re-stocking streams that had been invaded by rainbows (with native brook trout), AND this was one of the biggest outdoor fly fishing events I've ever been to. The whole thing was very well put together and everyone involved should be proud - this is way beyond the call of duty for a fly fishing club (Little River Chapter of TU) if you ask me.

Here are some photos from the trip. I think they illustrate what a good time everyone had better than I could in words.

The first night they had a great $50/plate banquet, with about 225 attendees.

The silent auction lined the room, while the food was excellent chicken and some especially good pasta salad that apparently is a tradition of the event. Paula Begley, co-owner of Little River Outfitters, makes all the pasta salad by hand in huge rubbermaid containers.

A live auction sold over $20,000 worth of equipment to raise money directly for the fisheries.

Many vendors were there but TFO did an especially good job supporting the event. Not only were Rick Pope (the owner, left) and Jim Shulin (Rick's second-in-command) at the event, but they also brought a number of their celebrity consultants to give free seminars, casting demos, and just generally to be accessible.

Does this man look familiar? That's Lefty Kreh in Little River Outfitters; honestly the best-looking fly shop in the country in my experience, and also incredibly well-stocked with gear.

Bob Clouser (inventor of the Clouser Minnow) also was on hand.

Last edited by ZachMatthews; 05-17-2009 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Good Lord, I spelled Lefty's last name "Kreg."