Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Default Next fly line purchase?

I've been fishing the Orvis Easy Mend line that I bought from Cumberland Transit, and it has been the best line I've ever cast. I love the steel braided loop, but it has started to tear where the steel loop starts.

I've put some super glue on it, should I use one of the heat shrink tubes for added strength and longer use? Or should I just cut it off and use the SA Reconnect leader? I could spool this fly line that is tearing onto my backup Martin reel, since it is still a good line, and put my new line on my Orvis reel.

But my next fly line purchase is not far off. I really need a fly line that has the braided loop at the end, it makes life so much easier on me. Price really makes no difference to me, I have no problem paying $60+ again if it gets me the kind of performance I've been seeing from the Orvis.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:31 PM

I would just cut the existing loop off and have a fly shop put a mono loop on the end for you. If it is put on with a good nail knot, it should be just fine...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Thats what I do and it works great.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
I would just cut the existing loop off and have a fly shop put a mono loop on the end for you. If it is put on with a good nail knot, it should be just fine...
How strong is that? I know mono is strong, but is it toad brown trout strong? I use Orvis SS leaders because they have a loop as well and it attaches in less than a minute, I love it. So basically I couldn't live without the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Thats what I do and it works great.
Really? Could CT do this?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Sure, CT could do it...That knot is easy for Grumpy, Dleo, et al. I have tied it a few times and it's not that bad. You should get a knot reference card and just tie it yourself. I used 20lb mono. I highly doubt that it breaks anytime soon. Besides, your old enough now to start tying your own knots.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:34 PM

I like the loop myself, and have them on all my lines, but before the loop, mono was the thing and it worked fine. I use to use it, and never had any problem with it. Just not as handy.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Sure, CT could do it...That knot is easy for Grumpy, Dleo, et al. I have tied it a few times and it's not that bad. You should get a knot reference card and just tie it yourself. I used 20lb mono. I highly doubt that it breaks anytime soon. Besides, your old enough now to start tying your own knots.
Haha I'm at a point where I don't like any blame to come back on me. So if someone else tied the knot, and a fish broke it off, I'd blame them

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
I like the loop myself, and have them on all my lines, but before the loop, mono was the thing and it worked fine. I use to use it, and never had any problem with it. Just not as handy.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Having the loop already built into the line is relatively new. The mono loop works well, and as long as it's properly tied, you'll snap your tippet or your rod before it fails you.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:37 PM

Trey

Go to Killroys.com & look for a nail knot & Perfection loop, that's the two knot's being spoken of here.
Or, bring it by & we'll rig ya, so you can blame someone else This setup ought to be changed a few times a year if fished heavily, for peace of mind if nothing else.
I don't think the welded loops will be as strong as we would like them to be from the factory, it's a weak point when you think about it, that's why the Amnesia or mono should be changed regularly.

Grumpy
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
Having the loop already built into the line is relatively new. The mono loop works well, and as long as it's properly tied, you'll snap your tippet or your rod before it fails you.
Well that's great $60 fly line or $150 rod

But I'd like to see an example of the mono loop, it seems like it would be large and awkward to fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Trey

Go to Killroys.com & look for a nail knot & Perfection loop, that's the two knot's being spoken of here.
Or, bring it by & we'll rig ya, so you can blame someone else This setup ought to be changed a few times a year if fished heavily, for peace of mind if nothing else.
I don't think the welded loops will be as strong as we would like them to be from the factory, it's a weak point when you think about it, that's why the Amnesia or mono should be changed regularly.

Grumpy
Thanks for the reference. I'll be sure to check that out. I thought it was strange that the line is already wearing when I bought it in October. I know a lot of it is from me trying to teach family and friends how to cast, and it accidentally lands on the driveway.

But I may have some extra money soon, what rod would you recommend over my TFO Pro? Preferably sub-$500, ~$300ish would be great.