Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 PM

Carolina,

Thanks for the help. I always like to fish new areas of the park. I may hit that one up on day two after I go up Treemont way.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 PM

Just to clarify, it sounded like you were calling the stretch of creek in front of the Palmer house, Palmer Creek. That is actually Cataloochee Creek. Palmer Creek runs past the horse camp. You may already know that, it just didn't read that way.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:14 PM

Worth it especially this year now that we actually have water again. You could also hit up Big Creek on the way over by I-40 Be careful it gets snaky on Big creek in the summer but it is way cool, If you like bouldering where you stand in a pool in front of a 3 foot or so waterfall and cast to almost eye level upper pool, then climb up repeat! I like it cuz you get a cool visual perspective as you are eye level with rising fish.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 05-15-2009, 05:55 PM

carolina boy,

I had a few questions about the Cataloochee area because my dad, cousin, and I are going to make that the second part in a week long fishing trip we are taking this summer.

1.Is it common to see the elk in the fields even throughout the summer months?
2.Are rainbows and browns regular catches around campsite 39 because we were planning on baking some trout one night while in the backcountry.
3.Finally, is there a lot of fishing pressure there during the summer months.

Thanks,
Daniel Koeppel
Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Pete,

I hit WPLP today and mine were of the smaller variety. I was there morning and early afternoon but, as I recall, you said that later in the day a couple of weeks ago, the bigger fish came out late in the afternoon. Got a dozen with three brookies. It was nice to not have to struggle so much for a change.

Coming over the mountain from the Laurel Falls trailhead, I was greeted with this early morning scene of our mountains.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com

Last edited by nvr2L8; 05-15-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Charlie B, Awesome picture!! Sure do wish we lived A LOT closer than we do! It would be amazing to be able to fish that area without the 7 hour drive to do so! Maybe we can make a quick trip this summer, but it looks like the beach will win out this year over the mountains Must keep the family happy!! Maybe if we spend more time over there, the mountains might just edge out the beach for the next few years! Good fishing to everyone this year! flyguys
Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 PM

OK sorry i said Palmer creek, ment Palmer house, I guess, was kinda giddy bout the days fishing, and the naty light when I wrote it, so yes Cataloochee Creek! So elk talk, they are pretty much all over especially down the road past the campground and into the area just past the ranger house. They are often viewed at dusk moving around. That said I was casting in the creek while one was 20 yards away feeding, and three of his buddies were in the field behind me both days. My take on the fish there is that they are particularly spooky, I think this is actually a result of the lack of pressure. They do not see the tubers and swimmers and kids and so on. So I kinda think that they are easier to get spooky. That said they pretty much had to forget safety this past week cuz the water droped & they had to eat. I just was at the right place right time. Great place to be whenever you can.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Carolina Boy!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Carolinaboy, if you don't mind, were you catching them on dries or nymphs? Any more details appreciated as I have fished Cat a few times but with little success and am trying to improve. PM me if necessary.
Thanks in advance,
Jed
Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 AM

NO worries man, I was using dryflies only the last couple times I fished it. There was so much surface activity, I cut off the dropper and stayed on top the whole time. It is the ususal suspects Caddis patterns, green drake pattern worked I fish a good deal with Klinkhammers, they work, On the two nights I was there anything would have worked i think, just don't slop around in the water, stay on the banks and low and you will be all set...Oh and don't where a white T-shirt, say a few fellows not having much luck that way? haha

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)