Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 PM

Default Jim Castwell

With hopes that Byron and Paula will allow, I would like to take this small liberty on the LRO board to mark the passing of Jim Birkholm "Jim Castwell" "JC" co-founder of the Fly Anglers Online Website and message board. Although I didn't personally know him, and had only exchanged a few quips and questions with him on the FAOL Forum...I could think of no better place to express a small rememberance of JC than the "Why We Fly Fish" forum at LRO.
I believe it is because of great storytellers like Jim, that the mystique, majesty, beauty, peacefullnes, and grace of our sport weaves in and out of history much as the waters we all so treasure weave down the mountainsides. Not many people could express their love of this sport in prose, poetry, or jargon as well as Jim.
I know that some of you here frequent the FAOL site, you too will miss him; for those of you not familiar with his articles, I highly recommend a visit to the FAOL archives...nothing would make the man happier!
He was truly a man of infinite jest and wisdom.

JC's passing also serves to remind me to thank all of you folks...Though I don't really know any of you...each of you are an integral part of why I Fly Fish!

Thanks,
Charlie
p.s. "Hey Jim! Put in a good word for us with the Guy that runs those private waters you're fishing in...will ya?"
Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 AM

I had to do a very shocked double take myself late last night. I can't add to what you said Plunker. I've really enjoyed the site and the effort they put into it. Right after checking LRO, I look at FAOL. This is a very informative and interesting community covering the breathe of flyfishing. J.C.'s efforts are going to be sorely missed. I'm going to keep Deana and family in our prayers. I expect Al Campbell, Bassman and J.C. are setting up a "Fish In" up there.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM

Default Jim Castwell

I too was shocked last week when I first read of Jim's passing on Mid-Current.com.

I live in MI most of the year and had the opportunity to meet Jim and his wife at last year's FAOL MI Fish-In. I took a group including Jim and Deanna down to a special spot on the AuSable River to fish. Jim will be missed by all who knew him. He was an exceptional sportsman.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM

JC will be missed by many in the fly fishing community. While there are many message boards, egos, personalities, in the fly fishing community, we still belong to the same fraternity. Fly fishers are few, any loss in the "force" is felt by us all. I hope that we all can give a few moments to give our thoughts and prayers to Deanna.

- David