Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
I also found out about a lake in AZ with grayling but it's a long way from anything else.
Hans, that lake can be very good but at that time of year all the lakes around there will be very warm and the fishing probably marginal at best. If you can put off the trip until early-mid October, that area will be killer. That lake and others in the area also have the problem of having a winter kill every few years so the grayling may or may not be there in another season. They don't stock them every single year but there are always apaches... If you get serious about Arizona though, give me a holler. I'll be glad to enlighten you by way of email...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 PM

Montana without a doubt. They let me drive as fast as I want to in the daytime, and I don't have any outstanding warrants there. At least I don't think so, I think the statute of limitations finally ran out on that little problem I had in Livingston.

Last edited by flyman; 06-01-2009 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I hope waterwolf is right, cause thats where I'm headin' in September.
Give me a heads up, and I will gladly offer up some pointers.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Default What state

Have made an annual Western Trip for abt ten years, and I think I would head to Montana. Another special place is Kelly Creek and Cayuse Creek in eastern Idaho, best approached from Missoula and abt forty miles of dirt road. Snowpack will determine water levels in this watershed; we were there last year and there was still snow in the higher passes in July, and water levels were unusually high. Those who fish it alot said it would never get right in 2008. Do not know abt snowpack this year, but many of the folks said SEP is usually good. Westslope cutthroats, and lots of room, few people. I can only imagine what the fishing would be like with about half of the water and all of the fish. Skip Watson
Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Hans, that lake can be very good but at that time of year all the lakes around there will be very warm and the fishing probably marginal at best. If you can put off the trip until early-mid October, that area will be killer. That lake and others in the area also have the problem of having a winter kill every few years so the grayling may or may not be there in another season. They don't stock them every single year but there are always apaches... If you get serious about Arizona though, give me a holler. I'll be glad to enlighten you by way of email...
David,

I read about that fish kill a few years ago, I probably will shoot for MT, I've got a full year to plan.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 AM

Hans,

Personally, I think you should consider northwestern Ohio The Mad River is near there and it's a fine limestone stream with naturally reproducing brown trout. I also hear the people from that area are good EGGS.

Have fun! Neal
Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM

I was in Bozeman Montana last September and I plan on being there this September. Amazing place. Didn't get to fish the Madison due to a dam problem they were having at Hebgen but the float down the Yellowstone made for one of the best days of my life. Lot's of water access around, plenty to do, nightlife, trees are changing colors, I'm getting excited just thinking about it!
Just my 2 cents but my vote goes to montana
Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Hans,

What are my odds of hitching a ride to Western Montana with you and your mom? I do not need a return trip.

I have been able to fish the Madison, the Gallatin and some areas within Yellowstone.

I absolutely love it there and am trying to talk the wife and dog into moving out there.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Grouseman77,

If It wasn't for the cold winters I would be all game for moving. I got tired of that from my native land. As for hitching a ride, sure no problem, the only drawback for you is that it's still not nailed as far as the dates, I'm shooting for next year, early September.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Tiger Fly,

Did you go in early Sept or later in the month?

Thanks