Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM

Default Ramsey's Cascades Trail... BROOKIES

If you get a chance, head up the Cascades Trail to where the Jeep trail ends and the water comes back to the trail. My Dad and I hiked the 1.5 miles Memorial Day. It was WORTH EVERY STEP!! We caught lots of Brookies. The smallest being 8inches and the largest being 12. Water seems fairly undisturbed. By the time we hiked up, we only had a couple of hours to fish and then hike back. We will absolutely go back and spend the day next time!!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM

That's some nice size brookies there BB. Congrats on a great trip with your dad! And hurry back for more.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Is nobody else gonna call b/s without pics? Thats some big brookies there.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post

I was waiting for somebody else to do it first.....

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post

There's going to be a bunch of people up there looking for all those big brookies...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 PM

My biggest brookie has been 10" in the Smokies, caught it close to where he is talking about around six years ago. I haven't caught one much over 8" since, and I know Hans caught one 11" on the WPLP some years back, and he has fished a lot of hours on those types of streams. I won't call anyone a fibber though unless I am kidding around or I was there as a witness. I am happy to catch a fat 8" brookie in the Smokies. BTW, my largest is at the top of my blog.

Enjoy,

Neal

http://pineman19.blogspot.com/
Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 PM

Pineman,
That is one chunky brookie on your blog. I was just joking around too, but people do like to see some sort of proof when there is a claim of multiple large fish.

My largest brookie to date was around 12", but it wasn't a Smokies brookie.

A local tailwater provided the stocked brookie I caught. It wasn't nearly as special as the brookies half that size in the Smokies.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Travis,

I owe that brookie to Tim Doyle. He was working at the old LRO store and we got talking one day about fishing in the Smokies, about streams we had fished, etc. Anyway, I mentioned to Tim that I hadn't caught a brookie in the Smokies yet, then he told me to try the Greenbriar above where Ramseys Prong empties into the main stream. Told me he had done real well the previous day guiding some people up there and caught mostly all brookies. I went the next day and fished for maybe 30 minutes max in that area, then I cheated and dropped a dry downstream in a little pool below the huge boulder that brookie is laying on in that pic. He nailed the dry on the first cast and I saw those red fins swimming around in the clear water. Pulled him in and at the time I didn't realize what a big deal it was to catch a brookie that size in the Smokies. Measured the beast, lol, took a quick pic and released him for another day. Like I said before, I haven't caught one close to that size since, but they are all beautiful.

To finish my story telling for today; I hadn't seen Tim Doyle since that day years ago in LRO's till two months ago at Nances Ferry on the Holston. Me and some of my family were in the parking lot after a long day of fishing, then Ian and Tim Doyle pulled up in their boats after guiding some clients on the Holston. I recognized Tim and I felt the need to thank him for turning me onto that nice spec! I kinda shocked him by saying hey, aren't you Tim Doyle, LOL. I think he thought I was an IRS agent or something, LOL. Anyway, I told him about that spec and his role in me finding the fish and I wanted to thank him for that great brookie. It was a cool thing for me and I think he appreciated it after he figured I wasn't someone tracking him down, LOL.

Thats' my story for the week, but it is the "whole truth and nothing but the truth"

Neal
Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Sorry, no pics available guys.... just great memories!!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Mr. Doyle is quite a character, knows his stuff though and is very funny, I have seen him a bunch in the field and at shows. Nice spec Neal

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"