Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Default Impact of the Full Moon...

I'm curious as to folks opinions on the effect of the full moon on fishing in the Park, in particular, but I suppose everywhere, in general.

Saturday night I headed out to my new favorite section of the LR and while I caught a few fish right before the normal 8:30p rush hour, the action starting at 8:30p really dropped off compared to the previous weekend. There weren't anywhere near the same number of rising trout as just a few days earlier. I observed several different areas and there was almost no action (even though more bugs were in the air). The water was a bit higher, but not dramatically so. The only difference that I could tell was the presence of the Full Moon.

What impact does that normally have? Since none of us are fish we don't really know for sure...I'd be interested in opinions and whether or not you fish less during full moon periods (especially in the Summer)

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-08-2009, 01:30 PM

A lot of people say that the fish tend to feed more at night since there is more light, however i can't say i've ever heard of a scientific explanation for this. But hey, who needs science?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM

I have no problem blaming the full moon when I've had a bad day fishing.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 PM

I fished a low elevation stream last evening for smallies and could not buy a strike on top. Don't know if it is because of the full moon or not. The past couple of weeks have been lots of topwater action so I believe it had a lot to do with it. I only got two smallies on streamers as well. I fish when I can, so full moon or not, I'm going.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Let me run this one by you. I used to hardly deer hunt during a full moon. I would hunt dawn and dusk and hardly ever see anything. These are typically the best times to hunt with the most deer activity. Then I started noticing that my mid-day deer sighting would increase drastically when there is a full moon. Could fish be similar? Could they be more active during the middle of the day and less active during the dawn and dusk periods? I know if sounds crazy comparing fish to deer, but could it be possible?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Default Mid Day activity during Full Moon

That's what I'm starting to wonder, as well. It really just seemed like things went quiet around dark, rather than more active. Perhaps they are feeding more during the day. I did manage more early (7:30p to 8p) fish than last week...

Full Moon or not, I have a whole lot more excuses I can use, as well...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-08-2009, 04:02 PM

I won't schedule a saltwater trip around a full moon, I set em near the new moon, I fished last night on the Luftee and it was dead, didn't see one fish rise, didn't even see any bugs hatching? It was almost void of life, except for me flounedring around! Plus the section I was fishing is brown trout central and with them seeing better than boes etc..It would make sence that the full moon makes something that is easier for them (seeing in darker situations) even easier.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 06-08-2009, 09:37 PM

I was a half mile up stream from Pete (just happened to be up there at the same time). I hit the water at 8:30 when the action for Pete started to die. I got the same reaction - yellow stoneflies coming off in swarms but not a single hit. However, as I was coming off the water after dark (had to look for a safe place to cross the river in the dark), I started to see fish rising. By that point, I was just wanting to get back on dry land and to my vehicle.

Byron told me once that traditional wisdom is that fish do feed at night during a full moon, especially when there is no cloud cover, and that fishing during the day is slow because they have gotten their fill at night.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com