Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Default New Shades

I've had a pair of Costa's with CR39 lenses that are now fuzzy with scratches, so I'm looking for a new pair. I've never worn a glass lens, but I'm considering them now. First of all, i've tried glass lenses on, and I can tell they are a little heavier, but I haven't worn them for hours on end. Do they get to be really heavy? The latest Outdoor magazine says the Smith glass lens is fantastic. I know Maui Jim has thin glass, any others?

Does anyone here have Kaenons? They claim that their SR-91 lens material is superior to any polycarbonate and is most like glass.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 AM

Exclamation

My best friend is an optometrist and loves the Maui Jims... I have tried a few and they seem to be better suited for casual wear.

Now, I absolutely love SMITH Sunglasses. I have worn these for years. Be sure and try a pair that come with interchangeable lenses. I use these for fishing and they are excellent. I wear my amber lenses when it is foggy too..

I currently am wearing the Toasters, but, there are some excellent new designs out...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 PM

I've got some Wiley X frames in a style that I like and fit me the best. I'm just looking for a lens to put in them. Which lens is lighter, the Techlite from Smith or the ST Glass from Maui Jim? Are the Rose or HCL Bronze from Maui Jim too dark for sight fishing?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm having a hard time finding good info on the internet.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Golfballs03,
If you like your Costas, they will install new lenses fairly resonable.
I have a pair of WaveKillers with the CR39 plastic lenses because weight on my nose was a factor. They did the same as yours, scratches. I had them replaced with the same vermillion color lense but in the new light-weight glass called 580 lenses. Just got them back a couple weeks ago. Great so far. Go to Costa Del Mar website and fill out the repair form that you'll find under the pull down repair. Good Luck !!
Herb
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM

I love the Costas that I own. Both are the Harpoon style frame. (1) 400 Green Mirror Glass and (2) 580 Copper Glass. They are light, have a great feel, and are very tough. I would not go any other way.