Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM

Dwayne, it comes from the Corps of Engineers board. I had about a 20 minute converstion with TWRA today and they are aware of the issues and have as many concerns as we have. Biggest issues are Water Temp. They told me today that btween Jan 1st and today they had alread passed more water through the dam than they did all last year. They are working with the Corp to try to establish some better flows so that 3 things could possibly happen. 1) water temp decrease (and pray that we don't have a lot of tropical rains) 2) longer periods of no generation so that the aquatic life and vegitation has a chance to re-populate and 3) trying to do those things while maintaining a lake level that is conducive to the construction efforts. Their worst fears are our worst fears and that is water temp. They were on the lower part of the Caney today working and assessing what the situation is really like at that level. That is, after all, the home of the "big boys"

Joels numbers are right on that comes from the Corps website. What it doesnt' show is the dissolved oxygen of the river and according to what I was told today, we are alright...right now. With hot weather in front of us, we can expect to see that change. They are working with the Corps to try to establish some control measure to ensure that we keep a higher DO content of the river. Time will tell.

Let's go to the mountain Ed, I know Josh is ready
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyski View Post
I've just been to the end of the island. It's to deep to wade at that point.
Congo hasn't yet had a suitable water level to get in and see what is really going on there. With the flows that we have had, it never falls out enough to get down very far! Maybe soon though. I have talked to a few that have floated it, and so far so good but no big reports or any official bragging!!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM

FishStix,

Thanks for confirming my data. I guess they will have to generate at low levels to keep the water cool in the dead of summer?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:28 AM

I'll be out there tomorrow, finally.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Dwayne,

My $.02 of what TnFishnstix says. We need longer periods of no generation for plant life/aquatic life to regenerate. You've probably seen how the major releases we've had have scoured the bottom of the river. There are a couple of concerns to go along with that. If we have some major tropical storms which require a lot of warm water releases, we're going to have a temperature problem. I also have a concern that with all the heavy releases we've had this spring, the lake has not stratified to the degree that the releases we will be having are cold enough to keep the tempertures down in the summer months.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Yeah, we could be in for it. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if the browns are better with warmer temps than the bows? I know the brookies aren't good at high temps, but I think I read somewhere that browns did better than bows at high temps.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM

I've heard the same thing regarding browns being able to handle higher temps than rainbows/brookies. Don't know if its a fact but that's what I've heard.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM

Maybe they could switch the stock for this year.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 AM

Wasn't able to make it out, they switched the generation schedule on me

But we did have a fun day on Center Hill lake. I think they stocked browns in the fall because the last time my dad and I went we got into a mess of fingerlings.