Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Smile East Prong of the Little 6-11-09

Yesterday the wife gave me a hall pass in the late afternoon. With a good line of storms pushing through, I figures that I would head to the Smokies to boat if the water came up, or fish if it didn't. Well the strong line of red that was coming accross seemed to disapate as it hit the Smokies and off for some fishing I went. I stopped at LRO on the way up for some flies and some advice on where to fish. After explaining that I was a newby to fly fishing, and with the drought the last 2 years, decent water (for fishing not boating 2.2 at guage) on the Little had been frustrating and fishless with multiple currents messing up my drift, and more of a need to be wading which I'm sure I spooked plenty with my graceful step. They then suggested that I head up to the East Prong of the Little. My only experience on the East Prong has been kayaking. It's a run that we kayak when the water is too high for the Typical Sinks or Trement run when the Little is at 5 feet or so. Let me say it looks quite different at a somewhat normal level, and I was quite pleased with what I found. While I only caught 1 fish on my neversink caddis, the fish were tearing up my bead head prince nymph. I caught 15 fish in 3 hours which was a new record for me. 1 fish was 8 inches, one almost 10, with the rest in the 3.5 to 6 inch range. All were Rainbows. I forgot my camera so no pics, but the action was pretty consistant with me missing way more than I caught. I'm sure the murky water helped to keep me out of site, and I may just be learning to be much more sneaky with my approach. I missed a sizable fish after hooking him that was located at a tailout of a large pool. I fished till I had a problem seeing my fly, and when I returned to the car it was 10 after 9. A lovely way to end the day, before heading home to twins with colic which decided to scream for 3 hours leaving me just stressed enough to need another day fishing to recover.

James Locke
Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
A lovely way to end the day, before heading home to twins with colic which decided to scream for 3 hours leaving me just stressed enough to need another day fishing to recover.

James Locke
Thats funny, glad you had a good time. I went up the Middle Prong one day a couple weeks ago after a nice T-Storm and saw some of you crazy kayakers. I don't think I have the never to try anything liek that, although it looked like fun. That is once I got over the fear of drowning.