Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Default Dry fly floating on side.

What would cause a Parachute Sulphur to lay on it's side in the water. Two of my PS's have did it. My Parachute Adams are floating normal. Any ideas or ways to fix it?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 AM

Are you tying the sulfur with split tails? How about your leader? Sometimes an unbalanced fly on a small diameter tippit wll cause the tippit to twist during the cast and then the tippit tries to untwist when the fly is on the water causing the fly to lie funny.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Are you tying the sulfur with split tails? How about your leader? Sometimes an unbalanced fly on a small diameter tippit wll cause the tippit to twist during the cast and then the tippit tries to untwist when the fly is on the water causing the fly to lie funny.
Not a split tail. As for leader. I use a braided with 6x tippet. The fly is a size 18. Would the trout see 5x any easier then 6x? I also picked up the fly about a foot from the fly holding the tippet and dropped it. The flly always hit it's side.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Tippit size can affect visibility as well as leader flexibility. Try tying the fly with split tails. Easiest way of doing this is with a few wraps of thread to form a little bump to spread the tail. Is your hackle tilted? Maybe the wing is a little too dense, tilted, too long or too short. Unbalanced wings on a catskill pattern can cause them to lie over, but I have not experienced this on a parachute.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 PM

There is not any need to split tail a parachute. I suggest one of two possible problems. Is your post top heavy- too thick or too long Second, your hackle. A parachute's hackle should be a size larger than if tied as a regular fly. If you tie a well proportioned #14 on a #14 hook you should use a #12 hackle. BUT IF your hackle is from a genetic 100"s pack, they usually run a size smaller than on packet. a #12 100's saddle tends toward a #14 more. You could have an actual number #14 hackle where you would need a #10.

A tip- save your 100'a pack for regular ties. Use your lower grade necks hackles for parachutes, I believe AK Best wrote that some where??.
Also always use a Hackle guage when selecting your feathers!

I believe your problem is the fly Not the tippet. Twisting etc of flies is usually a fly construction problem not a tippet one.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 PM

I agree the problem is in the construction of the fly, but a mismatched tippit size can aggravate the problem. I like the split tail. To each his own. take a hard look at your fly that lands correctly and compare its construction to the pattern that is giving you trouble. As Kytroutbum said pay particular attention to the hackle and wing.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the help. I will try and see if I can see a differnce in the shape and such of the hackle.