Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Going Light

I have recently stopped wearing a vest while fishing and just wondering if anyone else has gone to just a small pack or bag. I have started using Fishpond's smallest Blue River chest pack but just slinging it over my neck and left shoulder. Most of my fishing is small streams so I've found the least weight and better breathability a plus in the summer heat. I even found a simple cotton messenger bag at Hobby Lobby for like $6 and may try that. All this stems from my carrying a cotton canvas creel as a kid growing up spin/bait fishing for trout. It always worked so well. Only time I use a vest now is if I might need to carry a rain jacket or lunch for a deeper trek. Just curious if anyone else taking similar approach?
Jed
Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 PM

I started using a chest pack a year ago, but when it gets into summer and the hatches are limited I wear a fanny pack to carry water and some snacks. I keep the rest of my limited fishing gear in my nylon fishing shirt and pants that have plenty of velcro pockets on them. Keeps me a little cooler and feels nice to not have any weight on my neck and shoulders while fishing higher elevation streams. Don't need much of a fly selection in summer anyhow, so it works pretty decent for old man like me, LOL.

Have fun!

Neal

http://pineman19.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 PM

[/IMG]

This is what I've been using forever. It's a Richardson Chest Fly-Box. 4-5 boxes that you can get to instantly.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Went the same way for a while. Cooler than a vest, although I bought a small mesh vest that was pretty nice. That's another option. The fanny pack etc is good if you are dialed in on what they are taking. Until I have a handle on that, I take the full battle armor.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 PM

I put my Fishpond Arroyo to some serious use this past week while fishing all throughout the park...I usually fish the Caney where I find a vest to be helpful, but the chest pack was just enough to carry a couple fly boxes and a camera.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Default Ultra-ultra light

Unless I'm hiking more than 4-5 miles r/t I usually don't wear/carry anything. I have a couple of clip on zingers that I use to clip-on my snips, forceps, gink and Frog's Fanny. I carry a spool of 5x Flouro and a small box of flies....sometimes I will clip a small water bottle to a back belt loop, as well

Anything farther in than that, I wear an REI UltraLight Backpack, which has some snacks, a water filter and rain gear (but that is the exception rather than the rule...). I've been looking at a lumbar pack, but still haven't puled the trigger...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 PM

I have fished with a vest for years. About 3-4 years ago, I bought an Orvis fannie pack on clearance for $35.00. It is a neat little pack, with a water bottle holder on each side and two pockets. It also has a small chest pack that velcros on and off. The chest pack is large enough for two fly boxes and has two small pockets for tippet material, floatant, and etc...
Great alternative to a vest, especially in the Mississippi heat.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

I like my Fishpond Waterdance Guide pack. It has a ton of storage space and beer can holders on the sides.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=16815&cat=764&page=2
Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgvet View Post
I have recently stopped wearing a vest while fishing and just wondering if anyone else has gone to just a small pack or bag. I have started using Fishpond's smallest Blue River chest pack but just slinging it over my neck and left shoulder. Most of my fishing is small streams so I've found the least weight and better breathability a plus in the summer heat. I even found a simple cotton messenger bag at Hobby Lobby for like $6 and may try that. All this stems from my carrying a cotton canvas creel as a kid growing up spin/bait fishing for trout. It always worked so well. Only time I use a vest now is if I might need to carry a rain jacket or lunch for a deeper trek. Just curious if anyone else taking similar approach?
Jed
I use an orvis small chest pack hold 2 flyboxed, in addition this Christmas my son bcflyfisher2012 bought me a necklace, by DR SLICK, its really awesome for going lightweight.
It came with a real little flybox, great for nymphs and 1/2 dozen drys, a thing to hold my gink on , a clip for forceps, a clip for nips (both have zingers in them) a extra strap with clip to hold 4-6 rolls of tippet and some extra clips that I dont use. I also clip my net onto the loop at the back and around my neck it goes. light, and extremely awesome to use. I have used it since winter and found it superb for going light. http://drslick.com/products_accessories1.asp

Dont leave home without it!