Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 PM

Default Raging Ramsey

My objective today was to fish lower part of Ramsey Prong, but I arrived at the Greenbrier park entrance in the middle of a huge downpour. By the time I got to the RP 3000 ft elevation crossing (below), the rain had stopped, but there was just too much water.

Photo below is of the Middle Prong of Little Pigeon above the cove taken around 7 AM.

Below is the scene at 1 PM of the Little Pigeon at the park boundary.

Contrast that to the same site 3 weeks ago.

Adding to an already special Fathers Day, on my decent I got to see a medium size bear and her cubs crossing the trail about 20 yards ahead. Fortunately mom's attention was on a couple of hikers coming from the other direction.

JoeFred

Last edited by JoeFred; 06-22-2009 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: Correct typos
Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 AM

Great pictures, I know the feeling, I came down the first week of May and it rained every night. Little river stayed around 600~900 the whole time I was there, tough fishing. I drove up into greenbrier and it looked about like your pictures. I hope to get on the RP next month sometime, but I'm going to watch the gauges and weather reports before I drive down from Ohio.
Thanks
Tad
Old 06-22-2009, 12:14 PM

I hiked to the falls while there this past week and fished a little on the way up and down...I think it was one of my favorite places in the park! Caught a few very nice brookies higher up and caught a bunch of pretty little rainbows further down near the entrance. While I did almost step on a couple of snakes, I'm glad I didn't see a momma bear and her cubs!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 PM

Here is a pic of the Middle prong LP this May, and the water level was going down!
Tad