Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Default competition

they have a "one fly" competition out there at jackson hole once a year-I've never been there when to see how the "one fly" competition worked,but my cousin was there to witness it a couple of years ago-he said "one fly " was sponsered by Jack Dennis fly shop and the town of jackson hole-said there was lots of interest in it and that it was real mess-the more competetive the fisherman,the more stress and tempers assocoated with the competition-it has evolved into somewhat of status symbol to win it(don't know what you win)-so, as with most everything else there's lots of lying,cheating,and stealing that goes along with the simple notion that oriiginally created "one fly".In theory I think it's a good idea,in reality,most folks don't like to lose or be told they've lost.If fly fishing is to be tournamentized then "One Fly"would be an interesting alternative.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:11 PM

All good points. I do think there is a difference between the temperment of the average fly fisherman/woman and the average bass fisherman. Also, cheating is tough to take, but if the money is going for a good cause and LRO gets an added boost to revenue, I think it's a good idea. Or we could change it up and have winners in different catagories like "smallest fish," "longest fish" etc so that people don't all run to the same stream. Anyway, like I said, it's not likely to happen, but is fun to talk about.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Do it on the Cherokee Reservation - Trophy Stock streams or maybe work something out with the town of Gatlinburg since they stock there. - but keep it out of the park, its a good idea and I'm sure you meant well and the program works up here in the Shendandaoh valley, get with the people from Rose River http://www.roseriverfarm.com/
They host a 2 fly for Disabled Vets and are successful.
But Keep it out of the Park, Myself and many many others like the peaceful solitude of the fishing the park and its not for quantity or size but for the plain beauty of the fish and the sport itself.
I would much rather catch 10-20 little beautiful rainbows in a day then 1 big 6lb monster in a day. The park offer me that, plus beautiful scenery and occasionally some interesting encounters with wildlife.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:41 PM

I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to the trout than what they do to the fisherman. Ted Williams 1984
Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 PM

Fair enough. Seems like many who fish there often are against it, so that is good enough for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Default one fly

The Cherokee idea is good,and it would go over I'm sure."Keep it out of the park"-I agree--The City of Gatlinburg?--a great idea--there's nothing aesthetic about stocked fish--Gatlinburg needs something like a "one fly" regardless of how few the competition might draw.G'Burg seems to be getting thumped by Pigeon Forge as far as tourist dollars go-every little bit helps--long gone is the H. Middleton'ish super tourist trap surging with crowds of billfold in hand tourists roaming the sidewalks just looking for something to buy,the smell of steaks and cotton candy,a ,next to the waters ,Dairy Queen,always crowded,serving enough soft serve ice cream to choke a horse,and ,if that's not enough,running threw the middle of what Middleton called his loving mess of a vanilla fudge town,is the Little Pigeon River,a surreal,clear and cold backdrop to the jammed sounds and smells of tourism,holding an occasional big brown,and lots of stocked rainbows.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 PM

Yes, I am a tourist when it comes to the Smokies, and I enjoy it there mainly for the park and the fishing in the park, as I stated leave the park alone.
We here in Virginia have the Shenandoah National Park, and the brookies here. we also have a good # of stocked streams, and private stocked streams. That is why I suggested a stock stream like Gatlinburg.
If it was to be done then to do the 2 fly or 1 fly in Gatlinburg would be an ideal draw. An since its town think of all the spectators. They could even have booths set up with Fly vendors etc. think of the marketing of the sport. All the local fly shops could have a booth, set around the Aquarium area there.
Not so much as a tournament to win something but more of a Fundraiser type thing for lets say the Disabled VETS, like they did on the Rose River in Virginia.
Well you get the drift.
It was a good thought and you will find both aspects good and bad about a fishing tournament
any way you do it. - it has to STAY out of the Park.

Sorry about a 2nd shot at this but, I really enjoy marketing/sales and this got my sales cap thinking.
Especially about the sport of flyfishing.....I was introducted by my grandfather to flyfishing and have introduced my Son who is now 19 and over the last year has really sparked a huge interest in flyfishing, (actually I think he can out fish me sometimes) but my point being ---- Teach a kid to fish and have a friend for life.
Flyfishing is pretty much a life skill and done right can provide a lifetime of memories and experiences that are unforgettable, especially if they are done with your children.
And the Smokies is one of those places where precious memories are MADE.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
for the Smoky Mnts...Has this ever been done? I was thinking that the money could be donated to a charity for widowed vets or something...Just a thought. Teams of 4 for $200? Any interest?
From my perspectibve, and it comes from a full 60 years of fishing the Park, such a competition would be a travesty. As Arnold Gingrich once wrote, "the fishing is only part of it," and if competition enters the picture at all, it should be between the angler and the trout. This is supposed to be the contemplative man's sport, not a testosterone-laced attempt to outfish others. I sincerely believe that anyone who feels that trying the "beat" someone--whether in numbers, size, quality, or otherwise--when dealing with wild trout needs to reassess his approach to the sport. I measure the quality of the experience in a lot of ways--seeing a tyro take their first trout, watching a mink slide across a pool, viewing a large number of butterflies feating on horse urine along a trail (in case you didn't know, they are all males and they are trying to get some kind of special treat to attracti females), making a cast to a difficult spot and being rewarded with a strike, outwitting a fish which has fooled me many times before, looking at wildflowers along the trail, stopping to gaze in wonder at a giant tree, reveling in the joy of seeing no one else all day, and more. Leave the competitive fishing to bass boats an big lakes. Obviously I'm passionate about this, and it is a matter I've given considerable thought over many years. Jim Casada
Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Well spoken sir. When I stated that a competition would defeat the purpose of going fishing for a lot of folks, that is exactly what I was trying to convey. I'm looking forward to your book, as I spend almost all of my free time wandering the hills chasing fish. Not a whole lot of people understand why I love to do it as much as I do, but I am sure that is something you have encountered over the years.